Idea for optimization

steve-galle

Posted · Idea for optimization

I have a model that I need to print at a very small layer depth (0.1) because if I use anything thicker I have problems with some overhangs. The rest of my model could easily be printed at 0.2 or even 0.3 layer thickness. It would be cool if Cura could be configured to dynamically shift the layer depth based on the curvature of the object on the xy or zy planes. This would save a lot of time for me.

Posted · Idea for optimization

This has been discussed before, but I think that there may be concerns about patent protections on dynamic layer height slicing that prevents it happening in Cura.

That said, Kisslicer and Slic3r both let you slice the infill more coarsely than the perimeters which helps a bit with this issue. And Slic3r now allows you to specify height ranges to be sliced at different thicknesses - so it's not doing it intelligently, based on geometry, but it does give you a way to make the call yourself.

I don't remember whether Kisslicer also has variable slicing - i think it might now. But I haven't used it in either package yet.