Problem printing column

dub

Posted · Problem printing column

Hi, I am trying to print a column with 100% fill, and it starts out great until about 1cm up when the nozzle starts pushing around material to the edge, creating a lip that looks bad. I tried printing slower, 50mm/s and it still occurred, only slightly higher. I'm printing at 230C. Not sure why it would suddenly mess up every time. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

ProjectEggL2.thumb.jpg.42d8d0f2118bf7a7b2de2921fcc5353d.jpg

That looks pretty small on X/Y, which means heat management is going to be a real hassle. Print slower, print cooler, put a fan in front of the machine to help cool it. If you're using skienforge, try using Multiply and printing multiple copies at once..

Are you using Marlin?

Are you belts properly tensioned?

Temperature can be lower, which might help.

100% infill will require perfect calibration. Try 90% infill so if you have a bit of over extrusion it will flow out during the infill and not during the outer edge. Most likely you have a pressure buildup which starts to cause extra extrusion around 1cm of height.

This fan shroud does wonders for small objects:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10501

I printed these:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20110921 ... small.jpeg

and they look perfect. But they where at 20% infill.