Remove Grey print area

xile6

Posted · Remove Grey print area

I have an ultimaker 2 and simply wanted to know if there was a way to remove the greyed out print area on the right side.

I understand it is because the nozzle cant reach that area. But i have a custom ultimaker setup and my main nozzle is on the right size.

But that just mean that everything is already printed more to the right than Cura thinks it will be.

It's just a visualization issue, the actual gcode will already be printed more toward the right, even though it looks in Cura liker it will be printed more on the left side of the bed.

24 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

But that just mean that everything is already printed more to the right than Cura thinks it will be.

It's just a visualization issue, the actual gcode will already be printed more toward the right, even though it looks in Cura liker it will be printed more on the left side of the bed.

Yea i did a test print. 222mm line.

MY bed is setup for X228. I placed a bar on right side right next to the grey area.

It prints right at X228 then moves to the left 222mm which would be X6.

Which is prefect.

But i would like for the bar to be gone and the edge of the bed be X228.

Just makes more sense visually

There's not really a way to do that. You'll just have to live with the build plate being visualized in the wrong location.

You can still use the same amount of area on the build plate as when your nozzle would have been on the left.

So didnt find any settings to adjust it.

But got to thinking. You can use a custom bed obj.

So took the stock one and resized it and replaced it.

So now i went from the photo with hands. To the photo with the controller.

Still gotta adjust it a little bit. And find out how the ultimaker text is added in.

Then see if i could adjust the /remove the clip grey area.

Then all will be good for me.

20200320_102527.jpg

20200320_102520.jpg

I'm rather impressed you are willing to put so much effort into just visualizing the build plate in a different location.

Corona got you locked in?

4 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

I'm rather impressed you are willing to put so much effort into just visualizing the build plate in a different location.

Corona got you locked in?

Lol. Im always in lock down. (Stay at home dad weekend mechanic)

But just had some time and thought about it.

Ive been using cura and my ultimaker since cura 2.  (Been used it since 14 for my old other printer).

So its been a while its been like that.

Just finally figured id try something.

Theres a "platform_offset" in [Cura]/resrouces/definitions/ultimaker_2.def.json. Perhaps changing that value is all that needs to be done..

If that all doesn't work then maybe its even easier to jsut change your printer physically! 😉

Cool thanx. Ill look into them.

I see it but gotta play with the numbers and see what it effects.

And yea at this point i could use a base printer profile and just add in what i need.