UM2-like fand duct for UM1

Posted · UM2-like fand duct for UM1

Hi there,

my new fan duct design equipped with 4pc. 25x25mm fans (air flow of 3.2m³/h each) as already discussed in thread http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2291-help-with-modifying-fanducts/page-2&do=findComment&comment=25834

is now on test.

Big advantage: the side pannels can be closed without having to consider the fan duct space.

shroud1

image1

Can also be found on thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:183223

Any comments are appreciated... :-)

Looks good, post test results soon.

On Thingiverse you should show photos where you can that it is made out of sheet aluminium so people won't respond about melting issues.

Basically you are using the fan duct to act as a cover for the nozzles instead of trying to direct the airflow from the fans, right?

Good idea - forgot that completely because the blue tape is necessary to keep the bended parts in their place - not a good idea to bend sheet metal without the right equipment...

I will add a BIG note..

Yes, the sheet is bend in a way to seperate airflow and heating block/nozzle. My intention is to avoid cooling the nozzle and get a more stable temperature.

HiHo!

I recently uploaded a new cutting pattern @ tingiverse and did some trials with my duct at my UM.

Findings:

- air flow is much better on all sides, fans work with 50-80%

- prints looks good,especially on the "old fanless side"

- bridging was not tested up to now as I´d like to rebuilt a few things on my UM first

- due to the aluminum material and the close distance to the nozzle, the duct is getting hot nearly everywhere, but prevents the air flow to cool the nozzle itself

@ jumpmobile:

sorry for late reply - it´s easy to cut such thin sheet metal just using a pair of scissiors (in german "haushaltsschere"); to bend it it´s recommended to use plumber pliers, a solid table wit a streight edge and some metal parts as counterparts for bending - a bit af tweaking and fidling, but shoud work :smile:

B.t.w.: Karlsruhe - am KIT??