How to setup Cura to keep heatbed and nozzle hot after print

Cruhl

Posted · How to setup Cura to keep heatbed and nozzle hot after print

Not sure if you found out how to do this, but if not, can you just remove the end gcode that turns them off.  M104 turns off the hotend and M140 turns off the bed.

1 hour ago, Jamok said:

Not sure if you found out how to do this, but if not, can you just remove the end gcode that turns them off.  M104 turns off the hotend and M140 turns off the bed.

Thank you very much, Jamok! Unfortunately Cura 4.5 seems to have two "End Gcode sections" the first is accessible (there i deleted all M140 commands, the second "End Gcode section"is hidden and contains the the Heatbed switch off command. Just compare any gcode: this will validate my claim. Maybe one of the hundrets of settings may allow configurating the hidden section or otherwise i have to edit each gcode file to delete  the M140 S0 or i have to accept the time delay of reheating the heatbed for next print 😞

That is rough.  I did not even think to compare the gcode that is generated.  Could you add the temps you want by editing the gcode after it is created?

9 hours ago, Jamok said:

That is rough.  I did not even think to compare the gcode that is generated.  Could you add the temps you want by editing the gcode after it is created?

Yes just compare the end gcode in cura with end gcode in file...

Yes i can add and delete in gcode file everything i want, but as cura as so many cool features i just cant believe that this is the productive way 😉

I agree 100%.

7 hours ago, Cruhl said:

but as cura as so many cool features i just cant believe that this is the productive way

One of the productive cool features in Cura is the postprocessing plugin. Extensions -> Post processing -> Modify G-Code. Especially the Search and Replace script is a very powerful tool; you can eg replace M140 S0 with M140 S50 if you wanted.

Thank you.  I was just typing that up myself and got the notice of your reply.

Posted (edited) · How to setup Cura to keep heatbed and nozzle hot after print

Not sure if it matters but I did the search part with the last 2 lines just in case there is an "M104 S0" that needs to be included for other reasons.

"M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    M104 S0" is what I searched for.  Each sliced file I looked at did not have any others, so it may not be an issue.

Edited by Jamok
    missed info

I'd also like to keep my heated bed at temp after a print. I'm using the heatertimeout plugin to manage shutting off the bed. I'm seeing M104 S0 inserted before my machine's end gcode.

The section in red/bold is not part of my end gcode specified in machine settings, and I'm not sure what adds it.

;TIME_ELAPSED:1161.739754
    G1 F1800 E661.52454
    M140 S0
    M107

G91 ;Relative positioning
    G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit
    G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z
    G1 X5 Y5 F3000 ;Wipe out
    G1 Z10 ;Raise Z more
    G90 ;Absolute positioning

G1 X0 Y220 ;Present print
    M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan
    M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend
    ;M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

I can certainly come up ideas for with workarounds for this, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what's adding the M140 S0.

Sorry for digging up such an old topic but it's the most relevant one I found.

11 hours ago, d3c0de said:

but was wondering if anyone could tell me what's adding the M140 S0.

CuraEngine adds that. And it does so because in 99% of the cases (if not more), it is a good idea to do so.

The workaround is to use the PostProcessing plugin to remove or replace that command.

• Thanks 1