Help freeing printcore (UM3)

Posted · Help freeing printcore (UM3)

I think I had a PETG print come unstuck some time ago, but I didn't notice that the filament backed up inside the print head. It's been printing fine, but today when I wanted to change the print core, I couldn't get it out. There was a solid block of PETG.  Been there before, but this time the plastic seems to have creeped up into the plastic part, and keep the printcore from lifting properly to disengage from it's slot.

I've got it disassembled, and removed most of the PETG, but I still can't get it to release. I've tried heating and pushing it up while hot, etc, but to no avail.

Any hints before I get out the dremel?

um3.jpg

Posted · Help freeing printcore (UM3)

Well, finally got it. I was correct that the plastic was all the way into the notch/slot area. I managed to pull more material out and push it up and out while hot. To get to it I had to unclip all the wires too. 

printcore.jpg