JonathanFV

Filling in holes only when duplicating object

Posted (edited) · Filling in holes only when duplicating object

I hate to only be posting when I think I found a bug, but here it is. I put a bunch of parts to print in Cura, and fortunately, I examined the layers before printing it, because on three objects out of eleven, it had filled very important screw holes. Puzzled, I remodelled my objects multiple times in Blender, reloaded them in Cura, to no avail. Earlier, I had printer multiple individual parts to test the fit, and it printed fine. So I tried loading just one model at a time, starting with one which hole had been mistakenly filled. When I spliced it again, suddenly, the hole was there. So I duplicated it, because I needed two, and then boom! Holes were gone again.

I think that there is really a bug this time, and it seems like when I duplicate objects with holes in them, Cura fills those holes.

Edit: I just tried duplicating the files instead of duplicating them in Cura, and adding them one by one. I add the first one: no problem. I add a second one: both objects end up with their holes plugged.

Cura-Duplicate.png

Cura-Duplicate-2.png

Edited by JonathanFV

Posted · Filling in holes only when duplicating object

Hello, could you please attach the model(s) that you are having problems with, thanks.

The problem is that the model's normals are wacky, install the cura mesh tools plugin and use it to fix the normals and then you should be OK...

Screenshot_2020-04-08_18-48-11.thumb.png.306489492e3dc7f6c5066a93d2adc0f3.png

Thank you so much! And wow, this is crazy! Before exporting my STL file from Blender, my normals look fine! Then when I import my STL file again, the normals look all messed up. Guess I'll go ask if that's a Blender bug! Thanks a ton, again. Would you have an explanation as to why a single instance of the object sliced correctly, but two of them didn't? I'm just really curious.

Sorry, I don't know much about models, I expect someone else could answer your question.

That's very fair, thank you so much again for your help!