Slicer help Part missing geometry

db114

Posted · Slicer help Part missing geometry

Hello,

I have been printing a model of a building, but when I try to slice the roof it misses out part of the geometry.

In 3DS max, thinking it could be the roof was too thin, we have tried adding thickness to the roof,

Thinking it could be the geometry only slightly touching in one area, we tried merging geometry,

Thinking it could have been some error caused by the seperate triangles coming out of the main roof, we remodelling from scratch in a different order. 
In Cura, I've tried all combinations of 'Mesh Fixes' options, the only one that part works is Remove all holes', but this only enabled the slicing of the vertical window section, but the roof still wont slice. 

It's probably something obvious, but I can't work out why it's not working when every other bit of the model has worked with zero problems

Any pointers would be really appreciated!
Dave

Roof model preview.png

Roof not sliced properly.png

Roof window sliced.png

Roof xray view.png

main roof.stl

Posted · Slicer help Part missing geometry

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We have tried remodelling in a few ways, including redrawing, adding thickness, merging vertices, merging all geometry, but we can only get it to print the vertical piece. 

I'm not sure what the sub-mesh error is in relation to, as it's been modellign the same way as the rest of the building and that's printed fine?

Do anyone have any idea as how we can model this or get it to print, why it's saying not watertight?

Posted (edited) · Slicer help Part missing geometry

The main problem is:
    it's not a single, solid part, but 12 individual "tiles" that are partly just touching each other at a single edge, partly overlap each other (check the small window), and it seems like the roof of the small window is "floating" in air (I'm not sure with the latter).

I don't know how 3DS max works, but the main goal is indeed to merge all pieces together to a single solid object (no "floating" parts, no intersections, no additional "internal" walls).

grafik.thumb.png.8a80f6c723023bcc0976f8f5b25b2189.png

3D-Builder "repairs" to stl-file to this, dunno if it comes closer to what you expect? mainroof.stl

(and sorry for all the quotation marks 😊)

If you prepare it for printing on an FDM printer, be aware that the whole part touches the build plate only on a single edge. So you have something to work out to ensure proper adhesion.

Edited by tinkergnome
    • Like 1