Cura 4.5 Unable to Use Max Print Size

iamsethd

Posted · Cura 4.5 Unable to Use Max Print Size

Before you read this, yes I have checked the other forum posts and Ultimaker's recommended settings on how to fix this issue.

I have tried everything from:

here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/44677-maximum-build-volume-ultimaker-2-plus-ultimaker-3 - I have tried the settings changes and the profiles don't load into Cura.

here: https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15588-cura-23-not-using-full-print-area/

and here: https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/10565/using-maximum-width-when-slicing-in-ultimaker-cura

If you notice something similar about the links, they're all related to pre-Cura 4.0 versions. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but it may be the cause of this.

Anyways, I am new to 3D printing and I have been trying to slice a 220*220 mm part on a 220*220 mm print bed (using the Ender 3 Pro). After trying all the setting changes mentioned in the links above, I am still unable to fit the part at the correct scale.

I was planning on using my last-resort method of just going into the printer settings in the slicer and manually changing the max print size to allow this part that should fit on the print bed anyways. However, even when I increase the max print size the max outer bounds do not change on one of the axes. It changes on the X axis, but not the Y. 

Anyone have any ideas? I have included my .stl file for the part (make sure to scale it up 2540% for the correct size, it took the inch values from Creo and turned them into mm) and a picture of what I described in the previous paragraph. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with this!

Cura_2020-04-11_20-59-04.png

base_platform.stl

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same issue on my Ender - 3 Pro, trying to print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2869973 which is 200mm in diameter.  I looked at some settings and then it occurred to me that I had "skirt" enabled under build plate adhesion.  I switched it to none and suddenly, I get the use of all 220mm x 220mm of build space.  I hope this helps.

Mark

• Thanks 1

did you ever get this sorted? All the build volume affecting settings seem to be zeroed, but I'm still only able to make a 235x214mm object, 214mm Y dimension stays even if I set the build plate dimensions to 10x the size...

Annotation 2020-04-28 090459.png

You probably use the printer definition "Creality Ender-3" - not the "....Pro"

The definition for the Ender 3 has "disallowed areas" - displayed in grey on the build platform:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/master/resources/definitions/creality_ender3.def.json#L15

A definition for Ender-3 Pro was added just a few days ago, it may be officially provided with the next Cura version (dunno).

Hi! I'm in exactly the same position, funnily enough, creating a chicken incubating box! 

I also reached the conclusion with Cura 4.6.1 that the bed area allowed before slicing issues is 214 x 235mm. I need to print ideally 221 x 217 but I can cut it down to 220 x 217mm and 160mm high

Any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear - I've ordered the firmware update kit and stabilizing kit too to help with print quality and bugs...

Mine is an Ender 3, not the Pro version....

Cheers in advance...

Hi - good that there is a solution - will this work on a standard Ender 3 like mine or do I need to keep searching?

On 4/21/2020 at 4:11 AM, markwoodford said:

I looked at some settings and then it occurred to me that I had "skirt" enabled under build plate adhesion.  I switched it to none and suddenly, I get the use of all 220mm x 220mm of build space.  I hope this helps.

It actually did! At least for me!