Running Cura from source on Windows

Protopia

Posted (edited) · Running Cura from source on Windows

I am trying to set up to run Cura from source on Windows prior to submitting code changes for Cura, however I am having quite a lot of difficulty making the Wiki instructions work.

1. Compiled Libraries Arcus, Savitar and Charon - CMake gives a "not able to compile a simple test program" error.

Fixed by adding ` -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER_WORKS=1 -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_WORKS=1 to the CMake line:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install_dir -DPROTOBUF_SRC_ROOT_FOLDER=%PROTOBUF_SRC% -DPROTOBUF_LIBRARY=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/lib/libprotobuf.lib  -DPROTOBUF_INCLUDE_DIR=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/include -DPROTOBUF_PROTOC_EXECUTABLE=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/bin/protoc.exe -DBUILD_EXAMPLES=OFF -DBUILD_STATIC=ON -DMSVC_STATIC_RUNTIME=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER_WORKS=1 -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_WORKS=1 -G "NMake Makefiles" ..

2. Compiled Libraries Arcus and Savitar - Having fixed the above, I get the following error in CMake:

Unable to determine default CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR directory because no  target architecture is known. Please enable at least one language before including GNUInstallDirs.

I have tried adding -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=../install_dir/lib to the CMake command and that makes the error message go away, but I am not sure whether this was the correct fix because either way I get the following error:

3. Compiled Libraries Arcus, Savitar and Charon - NMake doesn't work:

NMAKE : fatal error U1064: MAKEFILE not found and no target specified
Stop.

I am now completely stuck - as I have not been able to determine how to fix these.

P.S. I would have updated the Wiki for point 1. if I had access to do so.

Note: Edited to correct that libCharon CMake works in step 2, though the others don't.

Edited by Protopia

Posted (edited) · Running Cura from source on Windows

In case it helps here is the CMake output:

d:\GitClones\Github\Cura\libArcus\build>cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install_dir -DPROTOBUF_SRC_ROOT_FOLDER=%PROTOBUF_SRC% -DPROTOBUF_LIBRARY=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/lib/libprotobuf.lib  -DPROTOBUF_INCLUDE_DIR=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/include -DPROTOBUF_PROTOC_EXECUTABLE=%PROTOBUF_INSTALL%/bin/protoc.exe -DBUILD_EXAMPLES=OFF -DBUILD_STATIC=ON -DMSVC_STATIC_RUNTIME=ON -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER_WORKS=1 -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_WORKS=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -G "NMake Makefiles" ..
    -- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24215.1
    -- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24215.1
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - failed
    -- Detecting C compile features
    -- Detecting C compile features - done
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - failed
    -- Detecting CXX compile features
    -- Detecting CXX compile features - failed
    CMake Warning (dev) at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.17/Modules/GNUInstallDirs.cmake:225 (message):
      Unable to determine default CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR directory because no
      target architecture is known.  Please enable at least one language before
      including GNUInstallDirs.
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      CMakeLists.txt:4 (include)
    This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:19 (set):
      implicitly converting '' to 'STRING' type.
    This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Found Protobuf: E:\Software\Dev\Cura\protobuf-3.0.0\install_dir\/lib/libprotobuf.lib (found suitable version "3.0.0", minimum required is "3.0.0")
    -- Found Python3: C:/Program Files (x86)/Python3/python.exe (found suitable version "3.6.4", minimum required is "3.4") found components: Interpreter Development
    -- Found SIP: C:/Program Files (x86)/Python3/sip.exe (found version "4.19.22")
    -- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED_ATTR
    -- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED_ATTR - Failed
    -- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED
    -- Performing Test COMPILER_HAS_DEPRECATED - Failed
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    -- Build files have been written to: D:/GitClones/Github/Cura/libArcus/build

Edited by Protopia

Posted · Running Cura from source on Windows

Hi, when I build Cura on Windows, I run this script first

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" amd64 8.1

set INSTALL_DIR=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\cura\inst
    set INSTALL_DIR_UNIX=%HOMEDRIVE%/Users/%USERNAME%/cura/inst

set PATH=%INSTALL_DIR%\bin;%PATH%
    set PATH=%INSTALL_DIR%\scripts;%PATH%
    set PATH=%INSTALL_DIR%;%PATH%

set PYTHONPATH=%cd%\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages
    set PATH=%cd%\inst\bin;%PATH%

set CURA_BRANCH_OR_TAG=mb-master
    set CURAENGINE_BRANCH_OR_TAG=mb-master
    set URANIUM_BRANCH_OR_TAG=mb-master

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=%INSTALL_DIR_UNIX% -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%INSTALL_DIR_UNIX% -DBUILD_OS_WIN64=ON -DCPACK_GENERATOR=NSIS -G "NMake Makefiles" -DCURA_VERSION=mb-master ..

Some of that is specific to my builds (mb-master branches) but the initial call to vcvarsall.bat could be useful to you?

9 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hi, when I build Cura on Windows, I run this script first

Some of that is specific to my builds (mb-master branches) but the initial call to vcvarsall.bat could be useful to you?

Thanks. I had already run that with AMD64 but not 8.1, so I tried your version and it made no difference.

I am adding a Visual Studio optional component for UWA (which adds a Windows SDK and rc.exe) in case that helps. But VS setup takes hours.

Adding the SDK didn't make any difference.

Also now wondering whether it is an issue of 32 / 64 bit versions.

I have python 32 installed (for another project) so which versions of CMAKE etc. should I install on Windows 64? 

Otherwise having spent c. 6 hours trying to find a solution online, I am now completely stuck.