Sotec3D Cover for S3?

donogh

Posted (edited) · Sotec3D Cover for S3?

Has anyone tried the Sotec3D cover for the S3 please? 

I use the S3 in a small room and am currently employing an IQAir HealthPro 250 purifier to keep the air clean. I get the impression a cover with a filter would work better?

I'm wondering if there are any downsides?

Thanks!

Ref: https://www.3djake.com/sotec3d/cover-incl-hepa-filter-for-ultimaker-s3

https://www.crea3d.com/en/ultimaker-accessories/653-ultimaker-s3-cover-kit.html

Edit: my understanding is there are no plans for an official cover from Ultimaker. Would happily wait for that if one is planned.

Edited by donogh

I went ahead with this. Feedback for anyone who's interested:

• Assembly took much longer than advertised -- I'd guess 2-3 hours;

• It is well designed and everything fits together well with tight tolerances;

• So far I've noticed a significant reduction in noise, and almost complete elimination of odor (printing with tough PLA and PVA).

My only concern is that it's fully enclosing the top of the printer -- I hadn't realized that the fan isn't flush with the back, and is actually only circulating air through the filter (with no egress aside from a few small gaps).

I contacted Accante asking for some assurance about its safety.

Do you think overheating could be a problem? It's made entirely of plexiglass.

Sotec3D Cover Ultimaker S3.jpg

Edited by donogh

Posted · Sotec3D Cover for S3?

I wouldn't be concerned about no fresh air intake all those little holes around both doors and seems will add up as a large opening. I have ordered the same cover but hasn't arrived yet.

1 hour ago, Harll said:

Quite interested in the cover as wel, could you post a picture of the back please?

Sure! Two more photos attached

25 minutes ago, dougncin said:

I wouldn't be concerned about no fresh air intake all those little holes around both doors and seems will add up as a large opening. I have ordered the same cover but hasn't arrived yet.

Sounds good! It's been printing for a couple of hours and it seems fine so far.

Sotec3D Cover Ultimaker S3 - Underside.jpg

Sotec3D Cover Ultimaker S3 - Back.jpg

Please can you tell me how much height this adds to the height of the printer?

I too want to order this cover and I'm looking for reviews.  I do a lot of ABS and I had an acrylic enclosure for my old Replicator Dual.  No fan, no filter.  It had an pretty large opening where the filament guide tubes came through, which I covered with blue tape.  So it wasn't "sealed" but it kept the chamber a bit warmer.  I cannot imagine that the electronics can't handle that slight temperature elevation.

Here's the thing all my dudes: the benefit of the cover is really about preventing dust!  After a year, that acrylic lid was gray with dust.  Am I the only one who has made an overnight print and come back and found a hair or a fuzz on the print?  I kid you not when I say this: I've only had my S3 for a week and I've already had to remove a stink bug from inside of it!  (I'm sure all the inside lights attract them.)  Forget the fans, forget the filters, Ultimaker needs to at least make an acrylic dust cover for the dang thing.

Edited by MobyDisk
    Clarification: Looking for reviews of the lid
    • Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, donogh said:

I went ahead with this. Feedback for anyone who's interested:

• Assembly took much longer than advertised -- I'd guess 2-3 hours;

• It is well designed and everything fits together well with tight tolerances;

Hello everyone. 

I read about this cover here and ordered it myself (@3DJake). Had to wait 5 weeks, they finally delivered it Friday.. assembly took me a long time, more than 5 hours, although most of this time was spent trying to make sense of the utter crap instructions they sent along w/ the cover. I got a handful of inkjet-printed pages of such poor quality that I couldn't discern correct bindings orientation.. so I looked for the assembly manual online, found it, and it was utter crap as well 😄

If you're the kind of person that likes to get well prepared and have everything figured out before undertaking such tasks you're in for some nerve-wracking time.. I finally gave up and just got on with it, hoping I'll figure it out as I proceed.. luckily I did. I could now probably assemble a second one within half an hour.

A far as the assembled product goes - I agree with @donogh - it's well designed and fits well. Happy to have gotten it, all things considered.

IMG20221107160628-01.thumb.jpeg.a4ecb0c26e4f3969aea03cfead0a4998.jpeg

Edited by elabjer
    grammar