S5 ER32 Error Code

Kubakhan

Posted · S5 ER32 Error Code

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me in clearing a ER32 Code (Z-axis, limit switch issue).  I was completing a long print and the filament had problems retracting from the print heads upon completion.  I cleared that fault and the I did, and restarted the machine, I got a ER32 code.  I have verified the limit switch is free of debris and clicks when activated.  The build platform is on the bottom and as soon as the machine is turned on and starts to go through its boot up cycle the error pops.  I am not able to access any of the display screens as the faults shows persistently.  Any thoughts on how i can clear?  I have a trouble ticket but thought someone might have experienced and cleared this in the past.  Thanks.

• 2 years later...

You can fake it - get past the error by lifting the bed up and tapping on the switch repeatedly while it boots up.  Did you make sure the switch is activated on and off when the bed goes up and down?  Again - you can do that by hand and you can hear it click if it is working.

But it's probably a broken wire on the switch or a problem where the servo isn't moving (possibly a blown servo driver as those chips can die - it's rare but more likely the chip than the servo itself which is tough as hell).

I guess you should call your reseller. You can create a ticket - click the 9 dots in the upper right corner and then support and then near that area of the screen - way up high - there's a button or  to create a ticket but it's not working for me at the moment.

Posted (edited) · S5 ER32 Error Code

The problem is actually on all axis ER32 + ER33, while all switches tested fine.
    I think you're right about it being a chip problem.

If you look @KUBAKHAN 's next post it is about swapping the main board 😬

Edited by MDes

Okay now I'm thinking a cable fell out.  There are 2 computers of note in the S5.  There is the linux computer which is the more powerful computer and it has networking and a full operating system and is about as complicated and powerful as an older iphone.  It controls the display and other than linux, most of the code by Ultimaker is written in python and is visible and can be edited and examined and so on.  The camera is connected to the linux computer.

Then there is a second board with a different computer.  That computer doesn't have an operating system.  It's much simpler (yet still complicated).  It has an arduino like computer on it and the code is in c++.  It reads the limit switches, controls the servos, controls the temperature of cores and bed and so on.

There is a cable that connects the two so they can communicate.  I keep forgetting but maybe it's 2 ribbon cables?  Or maybe it's a USB cable?  The communication seems to be mostly through gcodes. 

So possibly it could just be the cable fell out?  When I power up my S5 I don't think it homes the head.  So do you get the error after it decides to start moving or before you can do anything?  Does it happen when you start a print job?  Or on power up?  Because again, I don't think the head moves when I power up the machine.  So I don't know how it can possibly know there is a limit switch if it doesn't move anything as the head may be in a position where the limit switch is pressed or not pressed and there is no third state and either state is normal and not unexpected upon power up.

Whereas if you asked the printer to home the head then a very simple failure (like K1 relay which applies 24V to the steppers) could keep the servos from moving yet it's a pretty simple fix and this would cause a complaint about the limit switches.

Or if the communication between the two boards is down due to a loose cable that might generate an error that is seemingly unrelated to communication.

8 hours ago, gr5 said:

So do you get the error after it decides to start moving or before you can do anything?  Does it happen when you start a print job?  Or on power up?

I used to get that error only when the printer tried to move something, or when I selected "home printer head" from the maintainace menu. Ultimaker suggested I tried resetting to factory default. So now I can't get past the welcome menu.

Ah!  Okay so you have a problem with the servo's moving.  I would guess it's the 24V relay.  K1.  Well is it still under warranty?  Regardless you should talk to your reseller or if you are in USA I'd email support@fbrc8.com with the serial number of the printer in the email.  Tell them that the servos stopped moving.  Tell them everything.  Tell them gr5 says it's probably the servo control board.

If it's out of warranty I can tell you the relay to bypass if you are good with soldering.  I've fixed K1 before myself with just a jumper wire.  If you are good with electronics I can show you how to test if it's K1 or something else and how to repair it.

But if it's in warranty then try to get them to send you a new servo controller board (or whatever they call it).

The symptoms, when K1 is failing:

Can't heat nozzles.  Can't heat bed.  Can't move any servos.  Everything else is "fine".  Unless it involves moving a servo or heating something up.  For example it can tell you if you changed the print core and what temperature the printcore is at.  But of course now you can't get past the welcome screen.