Bug(?) spotted when enabling Adaptive Layer Height and raising the model

mMahdim

Posted · Bug(?) spotted when enabling Adaptive Layer Height and raising the model

Hi,

I just spotted a bug, but I don't know where I should post that, so please help me with the process.

When I tried to enable Adaptive Layer Height, and also raised the model in the Z axis so that my model would be floating, the slicer doesn't slice my model, like if the model was empty. But if I turn off the ALH it would slice my model and put the supports underneath as expected.

• Like 1

Posted · Bug(?) spotted when enabling Adaptive Layer Height and raising the model

This post above might be enough.  Developers would be more likely to look at this if you tried to duplicate this with a simple model (such as a cube or sphere), get the bug to occur and then do "file" "save..." which creates a .3mf file and then post the 3mf file here along with a screen shot of it not slicing.

The more work you do, the less work for a developer to be able to understand and duplicate the bug.

The next level would be to create your own github account if you don't already use github and post the problem on the cura issues area.  Ideally search to see if the bug already is listed there.  Probably not but this might be a known bug that is difficult to fix.  I'm guessing not but really don't know.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the suggestions, gr5. So here's a screenshot of the issue, I think it's really easy to duplicate since you just need to enable a single setting for the bug to show up.

image.thumb.png.d9b3f91524a215aed30c4772fa2812ec.pngimage.thumb.png.ffd395807fe7b5e434cfa73736788d07.png

You'd be very surprised!  Often the model matters.  See if it still does the problem with a cube.

Oh!  It might matter how much you raised the model.  You only raised it a very small amount.  How much?  Does it still do it if you raise the model 10mm?

As a programmer (not a cura programmer, not an ultimaker employee) it seems like thousands of times someone found a simple bug but I could not reproduce it.  "just check this box".  I did.  Doesn't do it.  "oh you have to raise it less than 1mm".  Still doesn't do it.  "oh you have to have this model with a curve on the bottom surface".  Oh!  Now it does it.

It's frustrating as a programmer when people think the bug is so simple to find and duplicate yet I know I've tested this exact "issue".  It's just that it didn't occur to me to do something a different way.

So when the user puts in the extra effort of sending me the exact scenario, then I'm more likely to look at it.  In your case that means either doing more testing or simply posting the 3mf file (in cura do "file" "save").

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Bug(?) spotted when enabling Adaptive Layer Height and raising the model

Sorry I didn't receive the notification email, I just saw your reply. Thanks for the time. 

I also opened a GitHub issue.
    Also since the model was not mine and one of my friends designed it I didn't have the permission to share that model.

Edited by mMahdim