Does your PLA wire crack when bended?

zmaster

Posted · Does your PLA wire crack when bended?

I'm using the metal gray PLA wire that came with my UM. Once in a while it stops extruding and if i try to push the wire by hand i feel that it is stuck indeed.

I needed to pull it all out, cut half a meter and put it in again to make it work again.

It just happened again and i noticed that this piece that i had to cut away has the same diameter of the rest but it doesn't crack if i bend it. The rest of the roll instead breaks if i try to bend it.

Now i think that my extrusion problems are caused by the wire which must have some parts with different properties than the rest of the roll.

I haven't had filament break during a print (red from UM, white and black from supply3dpla) but it will snap if I bend it sharply. I've also noticed that it sometimes cracks just as it enters the extruder if I've left it sitting for a few days.

• 2 months later...
    I'm using the metal gray PLA wire that came with my UM. Once in a while it stops extruding and if i try to push the wire by hand i feel that it is stuck indeed.

I needed to pull it all out, cut half a meter and put it in again to make it work again.

It just happened again and i noticed that this piece that i had to cut away has the same diameter of the rest but it doesn't crack if i bend it. The rest of the roll instead breaks if i try to bend it.

Now i think that my extrusion problems are caused by the wire which must have some parts with different properties than the rest of the roll.

we used to encounter this problem offen before, since the PLA propertise, we find and get solutions to deal , you can see our test printing video on http://i.youku.com/reprapPLA. we modify PLA ,did new formulation improve PLA toughness, bending not break .to make printing smoothly.

you can download our instruction how to printing PLA correly from here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CC8709D15BB78AA4!506&authkey=!AJrNhQC1vCR6vfw