Cura 4.6.1 almost half the speed

tinkermonki

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.6.1 almost half the speed

I have found that using the same settings for Cura 4.6.1 compared to Cura 4.0 I get extramely different results in print-times.

I have some large quite complicated models that I managed to get down to 17 h in latest version of Cura. 

This was after setting speeds to 100 mm/s, no infill, layer heights of 0.24 and removing jerk and acceleration -control. 

With all this Cura still ends up at slow speeds where it needn't be.

Using settings in Cura 4.0 of layer height 0.2, infill 3% and no jerk/acc control took me down to 8h 48 min!

What hidden settings have I missed? I've been through all of the settings up and down researching it but when printing the sliced files from Cura 4.0 I get really good result at about half the time. 

Edited by tinkermonki

Posted · Cura 4.6.1 almost half the speed

Have you done a quick visual inspection in preview mode between the two to see if anything looks very different or wrong? Preferably with color scheme set to line type to see if the new version does any weird choices with how it categorizes various parts of the model in terms of top/bottom/shell/infill.

If you are using a creality printer, on 4.4 the creawsomemod have been integrated in Cura. The printers definition now integrates accelerations and maxspeeds so theoritical printing times is now more accurate. Anyway if it's a problem of time calculation the settings are not avalaible from the cura regular settins, but hidden in the configuration JSON files

Hi! Yes I guess I was a bit quick with my review. Turns out that when I printed the model it actually took 15h 1min instead of stated 8h 48 min as stated in Cura 4.0 so I guess the difference is that the newer version is better at calculating the theoretical time. When I used Cura 4.6.1 my printing times have always actually been lower then the actual times stated. up to 30 min faster sometimes.

Yes, cura 4.6.1 with exact same settings for the print that took my Ender 5 15h to print, quoted 15h 11 min while old Cura (4.0) said 8h 48 min.

So upgraded Cura is almost spot on except for being a little pessimistic, which is better than overpromising 🙂

• Like 1