Question about number of layers in Cura

shvanbc

Posted · Question about number of layers in Cura

Hi,

I am printing the XYZ calibration cube (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865) which is 20mm in size. When it is sliced in Cura 4.6.1 with initial layer height = 0.1mm and layer height = 0.1mm the result is 198 layers. Shouldn't it be 200 layers? I also notice that when I measure with calipers it is short by approximately  .15mm, whereas the X and Y are pretty close to 20mm.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted (edited) · Question about number of layers in Cura

Yes you are right  in this case the number of layer must be 200. And this is what we have in a normal configuration.

200layer.JPG

But in your case you have certainly modify one parameter in the experimental section.  This parameter is call Slicing Tolerance , by default it's set to Middle but in your case should be change to Exclusive and in this case the result is 198 layers

Edited by Cuq

Posted · Question about number of layers in Cura

Thank you for your reply. You are correct about the "Slicing Tolerance" setting, I had set it to exclusive based on a suggestion I found elsewhere as something to try for better dimensional accuracy.

Honestly, I didn't understand from reading the description of that feature that it would impact the number of layers. I still don't get it but I will set it back to its default setting.

Thanks again for the help.