PC suddenly turn off when i plug my 3d printer to power

asyedsuhail1

Posted · PC suddenly turn off when i plug my 3d printer to power

Hi, Urgent help needed. I built my own 3d printer with arduino mega and RAMPS 1.4. Every thing was working fine. But today when i plug ON my printer which is connected to my PC via USB port, my PC suddenly turned off. Plz help me to deal with this situation. 

What sort of PC are we talking about? Unless your computer itself is relying on USB power (eg a Raspberry Pi or another small board computer), even shorting out the + and - of the USB connector should not affect the PC much; there is an over-current protection in any decent USB controller. So there might be something else going on.

Have you tried putting the printer on a powered USB hub instead of connecting it directly to your computer?

Also, do you need to have your printer connected to your computer at all? USB printing from your PC is sort of overrated (and not well supported in Cura to begin with).

• Like 1

Actually i am building my own 3d printer. I am using Windows 10 and operating with pronterface software.I tried with another 2 port in my computer instead of usb hub. But same problem is going on. 

I was asking about using a powered hub since that would work as a sort of "buffer" for any electrical cause of your printer shutting down your PC. But like I said, on a decent motherboard with a decent USB controller, even shortcircuiting the USB port should not shut down the PC, but instead disable the USB port until you reset it in Windows. It could also be a matter of a bad driver that crashes your PC.

• Like 1