Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
dadinfinitum

Consistently clogging in the Bowden tube

Posted · Consistently clogging in the Bowden tube

I have a Creality CR-10 Mini, and I've had a constant problem of filament clogging in the Bowden tube. I've gotten through entire spools with no problem, but then sometimes it'll print for an hour when a clog occurs. The stepper gear will start slipping since it can't push any filament in, and if I try to manually push/pull the filament, it goes nowhere.

I've ran filament at various temperatures, I've used different brands of filament, I've used different Bowden tubes. I check the level of the bed before each print, and when I connect the Bowden tube, I keep the nozzle unscrewed about 1-2 turns, push it as far as I can, and then screw in the nozzle. I'm also very careful to square the tubing before putting it in. I've cleaned the stepper gear with a toothbrush and alcohol, too.

I don't know what the cause is, and I don't know what to do. I'm running on fumes trying to figure it out, and any help would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, dadinfinitum said:

...and when I connect the Bowden tube, I keep the nozzle unscrewed about 1-2 turns, push it as far as I can, and then screw in the nozzle.

I think that's too far.  Try 1/4 - 1/2 turn instead.  With 1-2mm of the Bowden tube sticking out and getting squished when you tighten the nozzle, the inside diameter of the bowden tube will get squished smaller.  Prints with a lot of long retractions will move soft material into that necked down area and cause a blockage.  Prints without a lot of retractions don't seem to notice near as much.

43 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I think that's too far.  Try 1/4 - 1/2 turn instead.  With 1-2mm of the Bowden tube sticking out and getting squished when you tighten the nozzle, the inside diameter of the bowden tube will get squished smaller.  Prints with a lot of long retractions will move soft material into that necked down area and cause a blockage.  Prints without a lot of retractions don't seem to notice near as much.

Thanks for the insight. I've also been told to check my fan settings. Here's hoping it works.

The hot end fan runs 100% and continuously so there aren't any settings for that one.  The layer cooling blower is adjustable and if you have a beastly blower installed and it blows on the nozzle too much it can cause hot end problems.  The stock one shouldn't be causing issues.