Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Ironing Temps - PLA Crystallization In The Nozzle???


inventabuild
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted · Ironing Temps - PLA Crystallization In The Nozzle???

A few questions about ironing to make sure I'm not harming my nozzle:

 

1. If the Ironing feature in Cura is used to iron a large surface for a long period of time while the nozzle is held at printing temps, for example 1/2 hour or longer at 220C, is there a risk that the PLA will start to crystallize in the nozzle and affect its future performance?

 

2. Is the default ironing extrusion multiplier of 10% meant to help prevent PLA from crystallizing in the nozzle or to help smooth out the surface or both?

 

3. Would it be better to retract the filament out of the hot end while ironing to minimize the possibility of the PLA crystallizing in the hot end?

 

Thank you.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ironing Temps - PLA Crystallization In The Nozzle???
    17 hours ago, inventabuild said:

    If the Ironing feature in Cura is used to iron a large surface for a long period of time while the nozzle is held at printing temps, for example 1/2 hour or longer at 220C, is there a risk that the PLA will start to crystallize in the nozzle and affect its future performance?

    I think you might have some terms mixed up. PLA crystalizes as it cools down. As long as it's hot, no crystaline structures will form. What can happen is that PLA that remains above a certain temp too long stards to degrade (and form a black nasty layer). I've not really seen this happen and if it does, it's really easy to remove when the nozzle is hot.
     

     

    17 hours ago, inventabuild said:

    Is the default ironing extrusion multiplier of 10% meant to help prevent PLA from crystallizing in the nozzle or to help smooth out the surface or both?

    Mostly to fill it up. Keeping up the flow (especially on larger areas) also ensure that the pla inside the nozzle doesn't stay there too long. This could cause clogs (which doesn't damage the nozzle, but it does mess up your print)

     

    17 hours ago, inventabuild said:

    Would it be better to retract the filament out of the hot end while ironing to minimize the possibility of the PLA crystallizing in the hot end?

    Not really. You also want that tiny bit of extra material when ironing.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • Ultimaker showcase | April 2022 | 4pm CEST | 10am EDT
        I'm excited because I've personally produced this showcase event, so if you are curious what else I'm up to nowadays, come check it out and say hi in the chat! It would mean a lot! 
          • Thanks
          • Like
        • 4 replies
      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 11 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...