2 part print

stillsupping

Posted · 2 part print

I’m after a bit of help. I have an item I’ve printed and want to flip over and then print on the other side of it. I can raise the new part off the bed in cura but when i slice it cura drops it back onto the bed. Is there a way to stop this? Basically i want cura to think what I’m printing is 22mm off the bed and start printing at that height. Is this possible or do i have to alter the gcode

Posted · 2 part print

This would be very difficult to do. 

You would have to be able to hold the part firmly on the bed in the exact location where it should print, completely flat and have the height of the part exactly set at the correct height in cura.

Can you not just glue the parts together?

Off my memory you can go into curas preferences under general and there is a tick box for keep part on build plate. 

Posted (edited) · 2 part print

In Cura under "Preferences / Configure Cura / General / Viewport Behavior"  de-select "Automatically drop models to the build plate".  You will be able to drag the model with the grips or enter numbers in the Move box on the left.  Before you print, go into the Gcode file and make sure that there is a Z move that will take the nozzle above the print before any moves in the XY.

I have a question though.  How are you getting the part lined up in the XY when you put it back on the plate?  I've thought about printing on the backside.  My thought was to print a low locating jig when I print the first side of the model.  Then remove just the model and drop it back into the locator upside down.  non-symmetrical models would require some thought to make the locator ambidextrous (I know..it means it won't work either way) and there couldn't be a second skirt or brim, but the part would be in the correct position.

Edited by GregValiant