Software QUESTION ?

ian

Posted · Software QUESTION ?

Hi guys.

I have a building model built in 3ds format.

From looking around, I simply need to save my 3ds file out as STL and then bring it into ReplicatorG or (for money) Netfabb.

Can I please ask if for example there are openings in the 3ds model and that gets transfered over to the STL, will that crash the printer or will the rpinter try to fill in the spaces?

If I have to fix this type of model problem, should i do it in my 3d program or does RepligatorG or Netafbb allow repair and modifications of the model ?

Also do any of these software allow me to split a large model into 2 or 3 slices and then print one after the other, 3 seperate jobs split from one model ?

thanks guys and look forward to your replys.

Best wishes.

Ian :D

Meshlab can try to fix the model for you.

Skeinforge will throw a lot of fuss at you for having a model with holes, but still will try to slice it. Results may vary.

SkeinPyPy might help you to identify the holes with the X-Ray feature.

3D studio max has a "STL check" modifier, which shows a lot of problems, including holes, double faces. But not intersecting faces, which are also a problem.

ReplicatorG... won't do you any good.

And I don't think any software allows you to split up a single model into multiple prints right now. You'll have to do that manually.

thanks Daid for the help !!

so would this be the right process.

(1) make model in 3ds max

(2) open 3ds file in MeshLap and check that every thing is closed up and working.

(3) Then save as STL and bring it into Netfabb or Replicator.

(4) Then print from ReplicatorG.

is that right ?

thanks.

Ian

replicatorG = software to connect to the ultimaker, doesnt use STL files but G-code. I think you were referring here to skeinforge, its used by replicatorG to slice 3d objects into G-code.

But what you were saying is totally right.

thank you for the help.

I am testing Netfabb Basic and tested my basic model, seems all good (imported from 3d max format)

then now I have my netfabb model and i think the next step is to bring this model into Skeinforge, get my GCODE and then open that in Replicator for printing.

here is a screen shot.

Ian

what is this Phython interpeter ?

Download python 2.7, that will solve your problem.

Dump ReplicatorG. Seriously. It's just junk. Even the UM team think so, and the only reason they used it is because there wasn't anything better.

I just released SkeinPyPy Beta4:

https://github.com/daid/SkeinPyPy/downloads

It's faster, better, and easier to use then ReplicatorG. It's also more stable. It also doesn't ask you to install anything else, because it comes with everything needed. (For Windows)

For printing it uses Pronterface(PrintRun), which is a lot better then ReplicatorG.

thanks guys for the super tips, i think these are big time savers !

thank you.

so is this thr right process ??

1. model my building in archicad.

2. export as 3ds

3. open my 3ds model in Netafbb and click Analysis. result in my first model is all ok except surface is open.

4. automatic repair and all openings are closed in my Netfabb Model :-)

5. In Netfabb. go to PART - Export Part - chose STL (STL is needed for printing with SkeinPyPy)

click save and before you are finshed, click repair above save button, now your model is ready to be sent to SkeinPyPy .

(6) Download and Install SKEINPyPy Beta 4 for direct printing with printer (Do not use ReplicatorG, it is crap!!)

https://github.com/daid/SkeinPyPy/download

Link for full version with every thing you need !! (windows version)

win32-SkeinPyPy-NewUI-Beta4.zip — SkeinPyPy Beta4 - Windows - With new UI. (Includes everything needed)

https://github.com/downloads/daid/Skein ... -Beta4.zip

7. Run "SkeinPyPy.bat" (follow the "first run wizard")

8. Load the exported STL file

9. Press "slice to GCode"

10. Open "PrintRun.bat" which comes with SkeinPyPy

11. Press Connect

12. Load the GCode file (it's at the same location as your STL file)

13. Set the temperature to 230C in PrintRun, and press the "set" button next to it

14. Enable the "monitor printer" checkbox in the top right corner, so you can see the temperature

15. Wait till the temperature reaches 230C

16. Disable the "monitor printer" checkbox (improves your print quality)

17. Press "print"

In step 5 you should export it as STL. This is the file format expected by SkeinPyPy.

If you use SkeinPyPy you also don't need step 6 (installing python)

You are almost there. You would need:

5. Export as STL.

6. Install SkeinPyPy

7. Run "SkeinPyPy.bat" (follow the "first run wizard")

8. Load the exported STL file

9. Press "slice to GCode"

10. Open "PrintRun.bat" which comes with SkeinPyPy

11. Press Connect

12. Load the GCode file (it's at the same location as your STL file)

13. Set the temperature to 230C in PrintRun, and press the "set" button next to it

14. Enable the "monitor printer" checkbox in the top right corner, so you can see the temperature

15. Wait till the temperature reaches 230C

16. Disable the "monitor printer" checkbox (improves your print quality)

17. Press "print"

Looks like a lot of steps, but I added every single step you'll need to do.

Daid thanks to your super help.

I now have a brilliant step by step guide on how to use my ultimaker for the first time.

thank you.

I have just installed and tested SkeinPyPy and PrintRun on my windows 7 64 bit system and it works brilliantly.

super work Daid !! :D

can i ask a quick question.

on step 13 ( set temperature, which box exactly must i enter this value ?

second question.

your program says it is estimated to take 5 hours and 16 minutes to print this simple model.

are these setting to speed this up ?

what plastic type of faster for printing ?

final quesion, when every thing is good, do i click the send button for the printer to start operations ?

Thanks Daid, I think that will be the end of my idiots guide to starting to use this great printer.

Thank you.

First you need to press "connect"

The temperature needs to be set below the big circle. Next to the "Heater:" text. The "set" button is next to it.

Finally you should press print.

5 hours sounds reasonable for that size with the default settings. However, don't feel shamed to set the speed to 150% or even 200% to test. Because the default speed setting in SkeinPyPy is quite conservative.

You can play with the speed setting (adjust the speed % and press "set speed") during printing.

(The filament estimation of 3.5mm is always wrong btw, it always says 3.5mm)

thank you Daid!!

cant wait to start producing and showing you what we have done.

Hi Ian

What is the difference between NetFabb basic vs the paid one ? I heard one is free. Is the free one any useful ?

Thanks.

thank you for the help.

I am testing Netfabb Basic and tested my basic model, seems all good (imported from 3d max format)

then now I have my netfabb model and i think the next step is to bring this model into Skeinforge, get my GCODE and then open that in Replicator for printing.

here is a screen shot.

Ian

Hi Ian

What is the difference between NetFabb basic vs the paid one ? I heard one is free. Is the free one any useful ?

Thanks.

The free version doesn't do slicing for the Ultimaker. So it's no good.

i was reading in the google group that many users are saying that buying netfabb for the 150 euros to just stupid and we dont need it in the process.

If i removed netfabb from my process, what other open source software can look at my model, mark out the trouble areas and helo me fix them ?

thanks and best wishes.

Netfabb basic (free) can repair STL files I think (not 100% sure)

There is

http://cloud.netfabb.com/

Cura 1.0 will mark "errors" in your model after slicing. But that's kind of after the fact. Does help you spot troubled areas, but you'll have to use different modeling tools to fix the errors.

Not all of these errors in the models are real problems. 9 out of 10 times it slices fine with errors in the model.

thank you !

Ian