Learning 3D printing lingo and Issue with RC aircraft print

SpectreSwitch

Posted · Learning 3D printing lingo and Issue with RC aircraft print

Could someone please set me straight here. I am attempting to 3d Print a RC aircraft part. To cut weight I would like to limit wall thickness to 1 layer while using a 0.4mm nozzle. Looks to be 1.47mm calculated for the wall thickness. My issue is that upper and lower curved surfaces are not getting adequate layering. I do not want a "floor" or "Ceiling" layer but I do want the tops of curved surfaces to be smooth and consistent. Here is an image of what I'm seeing as an issue.  The second pic is an example of why I cannot have a layer at the top of the part (sharing only because I don't know enough to know if it matters).

What settings should I alter to have this print section be covered evenly?

Thank you,

Phil

fuse4forum post.JPG

fuse4forum post2.JPG

Hi Phil

Have you had a look at the file in mesh mixer, it may reveal deficiencies.

I have been printing Eclipson models with almost no problem following their profile. Planeprint  Icon has given me a number of problems even when following their profiles, some have been due to retraction, ended up fitting direct drive and e3d v6, retraction 1.25mm and 25mm, ender 3 . the standard ender setup was causing holes in the prints due to the retraction/ reload requirements. Also need to tune for each filament even the colour can change the result. Interested in your fix.

hope this helps

Barry

I did check it out and could not notice any deficiencies. The only other odd ball setting I have to enable to have it print fine custom infill is "Slicing Tolerance" set to exclusive. I ended up fixing the bottom portion of my issue by setting bottom layers to 1 and initial bottom layers to 0. Just cannot figure out how to do the same thing for the top. 

I am jealous of your direct drive setup. That's next on my list, I have a Creality CR-10S Pro v2 with z-sync mod, and silicon hot bed spring replacements.

My slice tolerance is middle with mesh fixes -not checked. top & bottom = 0.

printed direct drive mounts from thingiverse, it may even help the standard setup hotend by removing bounden tube flex/friction.

thingiverse has test prints for both planes and give settings.

• Like 1

Are you sure a single layer is enough for strength? I think that might fracture or split soon due to baked-in stresses from the printing, or later due to loads in flying. I had single layer rods split, even when under moderate load, especially if the load was for a longer time (days, weeks).

Test strength on test pieces first, before taking the plane into the air.