Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
viralata

[Solved] Ultimaker original electronics not working

Posted (edited) · [Solved] Ultimaker original electronics not working

Hello everybody, after several years and thousands of hours of 3d printing mys ultimaker original+ stopped working. I think it's the PSU. But it is the PSU of the heated bed upgrade, it has four pins inside a metalic circle. It is said to deliver 24v. With a voltmetre I get a reading like 10v that drops instantaneously.

I don't find it in any reseller in France (only original PSU can be found).

Does anybody know what voltage I should put in each pin and how many watts it should provide for each pin ?

Or if somebody knows where to buy it ?

Thanks

Edited by viralata

Posted · [Solved] Ultimaker original electronics not working

The PSU of the Ultimaker Original+ as well as for the heated bed upgrade of the Ultimaker Original is the same PSU as the Ultimaker 2+ and the Ultimaker 3 comes / came with. That means you should get it from a well-sorted Ultimaker reseller.
Apart from those locations: if you turn the PSU you will see the type label from Meanwell. That should give you enough information to search it on the internet so you can buy from your preferred dealer or shop.

Thank you for the answer, I didn't know it was the same PSU and didn't want to make a mistake. But the price of this PSU is very high ! 145€, the price of a cheap 3d printer. I have a 24v 15A PSU lying on a shelve, I think I will use it as a replacement for the moment, except if somebody tells me I should not (Not sure how sensitive the ultimaker is to the quality of the PSU).

The question is how sensitive you are to an electrical incident, depending on the quality of the PSU you use. Be aware you that if you use a different PSU than the type Ultimaker uses you do that on your own risk.

Imo a decent printer should be driven by a decent PSU. But it's of course your decision. Be safe.

Posted (edited) · [Solved] Ultimaker original electronics not working

Thanks, after further investigations, it seems I had a chain of problems: oxidation on the plug of the PSU explained the bad readings, but it is working in fact. Then I had a bad contact in one of the plugs of the cable going from the small card (on which you plug the PSU ) to the main ultimaker  board.  If I use another PSU plugged directly to the ultimaker board, everything is working. So I just need to replace this cable.

Thanks

Edited by viralata