Problems with PVA

ericmoto123

Posted · Problems with PVA

Hey all, I’ve been trying to get a successful print with pva for a while now and I just can’t  seem to. Recently I’ve been having troubles getting the first layer down. The brim went down good but when it came time to print the inside support it would not extrude or stick correctly. Can anyone tell me what is causing this bad first layer?? This is a fresh roll of pva just opened this morning and stored in the Ultimaker material station so it shouldn’t have gone bad.

4579988E-6547-4151-B01D-001B10992FA2.jpeg

Normally you can if its gone bad if it hisses and crackles when it prints or if the roll looks quite yellow . I have had one roll that's was bad from new but generally it should be good. 

Does it have a lot of retractions On the parts that are not printing well?

Does the glass plate have the warning sticker facing up?

2 hours ago, Labern said:

Normally you can if its gone bad if it hisses and crackles when it prints or if the roll looks quite yellow . I have had one roll that's was bad from new but generally it should be good. 

Does it have a lot of attractions On the parts that are not printing well?

Does the glass plate have the warning sticker facing up?

It does seem a little yellow is that not normal? 

Im sorry I’m not quite sure what you mean by attractions. It doesn’t have trouble sticking to the other filament but I’m rarely able to see that cause issues come up in the first couple layers.

Yes the warning sticker is facing up in this print but I have run it upside down before. Is there a difference? If there is I should probably stop doing that.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Sorry it was meant to be retractions. 

Stupid auto correct.

Yeah it's meant to be more clear/ white. The more moisture it gets the more yellow.

There is a difference in side of glass. Sticker side is the side your meant to use. Some materials it doesn't matter but it always helps to have it the correct way around. 

I too have had these issues, my recent prints have had upwards of 12hrs of PVA printing for supports on a single print job. I found that when this happens it was either my .4mm BB nozzle needed to be flushed out with PLA or the tension screw for the feeder needed to be tightened ever so slightly. You may want to check the lowering  fan settings as well as the print speed for the first few layers, I played around with temperature but ended up going with the Cura profile for natural PVA.