Does it make sense to add the ability to place an interface layer between the raft and the model?

mbmast

Posted (edited) · Does it make sense to add the ability to place an interface layer between the raft and the model?

There are models that are best printed with a raft and there occasions when the raft is very difficult to remove from the model, no matter what settings are in play.  I think (?) it would be good if it were possible to print an interface layer between the raft and the model.  With a PVA interface, soaking in water would make the raft much, much easier to remove.

Is this a good idea?

Edited by mbmast
Added tag.

Posted · Does it make sense to add the ability to place an interface layer between the raft and the model?

I think if the model does not stick to the bed very well, then it is not going to stick to the PVA-interface as well.

Raft isn't used very much anymore, and I have even never tried it. I would suggest you try brim, which generally works good and is easy to remove. Or if you have a really special model, you could design your own brim-features in CAD. Automated functions are good for general items. But for very specific and unusual things, you as designer are best suited to design custom brims.

For example I used them here to prevent the little red and orange things from falling over. They are very small, only a few mm, and would have an even smaller bonding area without custom brim. I also used it for the dummy tower. For reference: text is 3.5mm caps height.

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg