Infill extends thru walls into hole.

DeanS

Posted · Infill extends thru walls into hole.

Hi,

I made this model with holes in the base and when cura slices it the small holes are fine but in the larger one the infill extends thru the last layer before the top layers. I have searched but have not found anything on this yet. 

These are the layers up until the last layer and everything is ok.

Infill1.thumb.jpg.d328d8cee7ca4ec129fb3916c14a44ff.jpg

This is the next layer and the infill goes right thru the walls.

Infill2.thumb.jpg.5cef69a357fee22ac8e7dab6f39cdea5.jpg

After that the top layers start.

Infill3.thumb.jpg.5f27c751e1e4c0a61fe3d41bf7eb6f38.jpg

It has done this a couple other times and I cannot figure out what is causing it.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Well I guess I'll answer my own question. After continued playing around and no better results, I tried subtracting .01 mm from the thickness of the base. There is still the same amount of layers but the infill doesn't cross the hole anymore with the same settings. It must have something to do with a fraction of a layer height making cura do something wrong during slicing.

Here are the two models with the second one with .01mm removed.

image.thumb.png.980ee37343445e1471d31db0f53aa48e.png

Same number of total layers.

I think there is something wrong  with the mesh structure of this model. It looks like there are extra (double?) walls around the holes or something similar.
    It's probably not a single solid body (like it is supposed to be). If the model has errors the results are simply unpredictable.

As a first step i would take a look at the "x-ray-view" in Cura and check for any unwanted geometry or red marked areas.