Brim inside an object problem.

jkuk

Posted · Brim inside an object problem.

I'm trying to print a box with some letters on the bottom in PCABS. Only way I can get it to stick is weith a brim. The problem is, cura is putting the brim inside 2 of the 3 letters which is making them not look like letters anymore..
The "Brim on outside only" is ticked and with it unticked, all the letters get filled in.
Any ideas how I can fix this?
I sliced the same STL file in Ideamaker and it didn't have the same problem, but I really like Cura and have gotten used to it now...

I'd just turn off brim.  Maybe show a photo of your part?  It might not need brim.  Especially if the outside corners of the part are rounded.

Another trick is to use skirt but set the skirt distance to zero.  This will DEFINITELY give you brim only on the outside and will skip areas of the part that don't need it.  For example if you are printing a starfish the brim will touch the 5 tips but as a pentagram so only touching the tips which is the only area that needs it.

3rdly you can do your own brim in CAD.  Just put round disks at the outside corners of your part and make them only one layer high (0.3mm).

Please show a screenshot of your part.  Are you certain it needs brim at all?  Most parts smaller than 60mm in X or Y don't need brim.  I'm curious how sharp the corners are and how far apart and how much material in between pulling as it shrinks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies