How do I print in multiple color with a single extruder using z hop?

suwhy

Posted · How do I print in multiple color with a single extruder using z hop?

So I watched some video's on youtube how to print in multiple colors with a single extruder, but none of them worked for me. I tried printing my object in multiple colors using z hop but it didnt z-hop at all and it just melted thru the other print. So my question is can anyone tell me how to let the extruder start at a layer height of 1mm.

842a90d07b2cea26b648e1e7227f6061.thumb.png.a3ae6965ed9b24ecf5ee67ac0fb49871.png 

So this is the base layer and on this layer I want to print the next thing but just in a different color, but I dont want to pause it at a particular layer heigt, I just want to let the next print start at the height of this object (1mm).

3637da9b18855a568d161a237f6f558b.thumb.png.0199163e8dc8d9710acf6b6bbcb0bbe0.png

This is the second layer that I want on top of the previous layer. I want the extruder to start on a height of 1mm.

9e1d26b5276cf4138df142d189b2cd95.thumb.png.e42e8bb9e09fcf0944d2065b0ed5c3e8.png

This is the end result I am trying to achieve.

Well the way you seem to be attempting to do it...

Go to menu item "preferences" "configure cura..."

Uncheck the box by "automatically drop models to the build plate".

Now load your second STL that you want at 1mm.  click on that part and on the left side use the tool that allows you to move your part around.  In the Z box type in "1mm".  Make sure support is disabled.

Now you have a second gcode file - one for the base part and one for the second color part.

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

Well the way you seem to be attempting to do it...

Go to menu item "preferences" "configure cura..."

Uncheck the box by "automatically drop models to the build plate".

Now load your second STL that you want at 1mm.  click on that part and on the left side use the tool that allows you to move your part around.  In the Z box type in "1mm".  Make sure support is disabled.

Now you have a second gcode file - one for the base part and one for the second color part.

When I try this, than this happens

5276627fb80aa633ffe0e531d58812b9.png

I'm not sure what I'm seeing.  You have to also disable brim and support so it doesn't print the bottom few layers and you have to position the height.  In the photo above you are on the scale tool.  You don't want to scale.  You want to set the Z position.

The scale tool just was a coincidence, support was disabled, and the brim/skirt was disabled. However I don't know how to set the z position.

You click on the part.  Click on the move tool on the left side.  Now there are 3 arrows for moving in XYZ.  On the left is a box.  Just type in the number of mm to raise the part in the Z box.

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

You click on the part.  Click on the move tool on the left side.  Now there are 3 arrows for moving in XYZ.  On the left is a box.  Just type in the number of mm to raise the part in the Z box.

the problem is that the print in the preview drops down as you can see in this video 

So there are two models, right?  You merged them.  I think you only want to merge them if you have a dual nozzle printer.  You said you only had one extruder, right?

So don't merge the models.

Not only should you not merge the models - you should only load one at a time as you are creating two separate prints, right?  You want to print one in one color and then print the other in the other color.  Two separate prints.  That happen to print one on top of the other.

With "Generate Support" disabled, untick "Remove Empty First Layers" under "Mesh Fixes".

Alternatively: 1) Adjust the high. 2) Click "Support blocker" (sixth icon on the left) click anywhere to place it. 3) Select the cube, click "Per model settings" (fifth icon on the left) and click "Normal model". 4) Click "Select settings", select "Wall line count", "Top Layers", "Bottom layers" and "Infill density", set all of them to 0 and slice you model.

3Captura de tela 2024-03-16 190625.png

1Captura de tela 2024-03-16 190354.png

2Captura de tela 2024-03-16 190438.png