better

After last weeks disaster, http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/?p=28537.

This one came out a LOT better!!!

Made myself a smaller and easier print. (only :shock: 8hours this time)

Using the ooze shield works great, separates the colours fine.

the only thing is, when you start printing it gives a blob, like extruding starts a little to early. But it's hard to see what is exactly happening behind the ooze shield.

WP 000831

WP 000829

WP 000828

DSCN1775

The ooze shield looks way cooler than the vase! Go with it!

oh oohw...

LOL! exactly what my wife said, after 'damaging' the ooze shields.

wait for someone to come up with a plugin to switch extruders every layer :)

I guess you're using Colorfabb PLA, right? The knobs at the color junction look quite familiar...it's something I dislike with the Colorfabb PLA. I also recognize the very prominent horizontal lines...

wait for someone to come up with a plugin to switch extruders every layer :)

Such a plugin might be possible, but not is not trivial... (when starting with a 'single' extruder print)

I guess you're using Colorfabb PLA, right? The knobs at the color junction look quite familiar...it's something I dislike with the Colorfabb PLA. I also recognize the very prominent horizontal lines...

Such a plugin might be possible, but not is not trivial... (when starting with a 'single' extruder print)

The Pla is Ultimate it says on the label (plastic2print.com).

The knots are the same as with the Z-seam, only that's once a layer and these are every colour change.

The 'somewhere in 2012' version had a setting to prime (pre ignition) the extruder after retraction. For this use, there should be something similar, a delay..

Might be possible to avoid those knots playing with diameter and/or flow, but as said in other posts something is missing in the double flow department, regarding the Ulticontorller and the diameter settings.

But as said it's very hard to see, but does not look like oozing, the nozzles are clean, it's more like starting to extrude to soon.

Some of the horizontal lines are 3mm Z-spindle lines.

Some, the higher the worse, are the hotends hitting the ooze shield, each nozzle makes a pass at the same Z height.

So sometimes the nozzles catch the ooze shield.

If you can come up with a plugin ;) , I like to give it a try, it's a nice effect because of he minor offset differences I guess.

So, it's pure PLA and not PLA/PHA as Colorfabb has it? Is it brittle or easy to bend?

I see this knots only with the PLA/PHA mixture, not with pure PLA. I also think to remember a post, where the topic was bridging. Someone tried to do it with PLA/PHA which also resulted in a lot of knots.

Anyway, you're right: it's not oozing. Oozing looks different.

Did you have a look at the ooze shield while it printed? I still have the impression that it is printing each ooze shield line twice, once for each extruder on the same layer. This usually results in an enormous blob right after the ooze shield for the extruder that is used as second on that layer. Maybe you can confirm that issue?

So, it's pure PLA and not PLA/PHA as Colorfabb has it? Is it brittle or easy to bend?

I see this knots only with the PLA/PHA mixture, not with pure PLA. I also think to remember a post, where the topic was bridging. Someone tried to do it with PLA/PHA which also resulted in a lot of knots.

Anyway, you're right: it's not oozing. Oozing looks different.

Did you have a look at the ooze shield while it printed? I still have the impression that it is printing each ooze shield line twice, once for each extruder on the same layer. This usually results in an enormous blob right after the ooze shield for the extruder that is used as second on that layer. Maybe you can confirm that issue?

Yes I'm sure its pure PLA.

With my Eyeballs the blobs occur at the beginning of a segment, not only once per layer after the ooze shield.

The blobs are on he start of the segment, as it being a vase, the other half is on the inside.

I considered it might have to do something with the feeder, Ther's is some play in it off course , but I don't see a big difference between the 1 year old worn one and the almost new second one.

I have the feeling it has something to do with the timing, I will make a faster simpler model to do some test with speeds and retraction distances.

And second Yes.

It's printing each ooze shield twice, in one layer height it does two passes (1 with each colour) Using 13.12 test.

Nozzles are hitting the ooze shield often, luckily I have a sturdy printhead :)

But that ooze shield works great, printing Red and white don't give pink anymore.

Perhaps when making one pass per layer, it would not work as a wipe shield anymore, and you have to use the ooze shield and wipe tower together.