Ultimaker S3: AA 0.8mm -- Ultimaker PLA Printing Temperature

donogh

Posted · Ultimaker S3: AA 0.8mm -- Ultimaker PLA Printing Temperature

Hi all,

I'm trying to print with standard Ultimaker PLA on an AA 0.8mm core. I'm using the built-in Fast 0.2mm printing profile in Cura.

As with all new nozzle sizes and materials, I printed a temperature tower. This is how it came out:

407912474_temperaturetowerultimakerpla0_8mm.thumb.jpg.ded7b916d16560c97bae4be7edee0242.jpg

This is how this print comes out with a different filament (although with the AA 0.4mm Core):

1750472906_temperaturetowernormal.thumb.jpg.0c1a5bd9fa767c6cafd0bd2b73ed9edc.jpg

Looking at the online documentation, it suggests 200-210C and higher temperature for the 0.8mm nozzle. However, looking at the temperature tower, it seems like 190C or 195C came out best.

These are my Cura settings:

1884579743_temptowerprintsettings3.thumb.png.4f3735514bacdb4287934c4bb5a9f8b0.png

1854293789_temptowerprintsettings2.thumb.png.1979c9a08fd86ecd0ee61fcce4660c9a.png

549652330_temptowerprintsettings1.thumb.png.2c562fc32232e19a4dfb48ae4eb7cdfa.png

Any advice please?

Thanks!

Tried a 20mm test cube with the same settings @ 190C and it came out reasonably well:

1737905006_20mmtestcubeAA0.8mmcoreultimakerpla.thumb.jpg.1fd057d03296498b19bcd6889bee92a2.jpg

Going to try a more complex print and see how it turns out...

I rarely print temperature towers, because I never got a clear result which temp I should use. It also depends on your model. 

I print a lot with the 0.8 core and normally use the default temp settings and don't touch it. I only adjust it +5°C or 10°C if I print with 0.4 layer height and faster.

You should also keep in mind that you get not the details you know from the 0.4 core and that the whole print is not so nice and smooth. Also bridges are not very beautiful as you can see.

Just now, donogh said:

Tried a 20mm test cube with the same settings @ 190C and it came out reasonably well:

Looks quite ok!

1 minute ago, donogh said:

Going to try a more complex print and see how it turns out...

Thats the best way, tune it during printing when you see under extrusion, otherwise I would keep the print temp low.