Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

Strange under/overextrusion

Recommended Posts

Hi there

This is a very strange one. I tried to print http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14195 in Colorfabb signal red PLA/PHA. After having measured the filament diameter I-don't-know-how-many-times I set it to 2.85mm in Cura 13.12-test (worked nicely for other prints).

After a few prints with serious underextrusion I also managed to get some fairly reasonable settings (not fully convincing quality) such as 50mm/s at 220°C with more or less closed surfaces.

Then I scaled the model by 2 in z-direction, i.e. the thickness was set to 5mm from previous 2.5mm. I was actually baffled by the result.

Snowman Over-Extrusion

The print is 'normal' (which means about the same quality as the original 2.5mm print) up to 2.5mm. After that point, an enormous overextrusion happened.

I put this into the Cura section as I think it is rather a software than hardware issue (would be quite a coincidence if my Ultimaker decides at exact the original height to go crazy, wouldn't it?). However, it could also be the model itself. I just had a look into it and for me, it looks ok...

Any ideas?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

On some of my prints a few weeks ago, something similar was happening - I think Cura was pre-emptively raising the nozzle temp, in anticipation of the fan being turned on full blast (and thus cooling the nozzle somewhat).

Did you watch the nozzle temp when this happened? I bet the temp spiked and you started getting overextrusion.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for testing! I'll do another one myself. Maybe it was a big coincidence and a different reason...

EDIT: How did you get the space between the hole in the hat and the hat outline filled? Seems to me a bit like a mission impossible with a 0.4mm nozzle...at original size.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be your magic hands then... :wink:

I printed it again this morning. It came out ok (with the exception of the hole in the hat). So it was definitively something hardware-related. After having another look at the failed print, I think it might be caused by partial delamination as the print is significantly thinner at one end (and the material difference most probably distributed over the rest of the print).


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Our picks

    • Architect Design Contest | People
      The goal of this contest is to design a set of people figurines that could be used in such a project to make an area, office or mall seem populated. 
      Think of different types of people in different environments, like walking people, people standing still, working people, and both men and women.
      • 6 replies
    • Taking Advantage of DfAM
      This is a statement that’s often made about AM/3DP. I'll focus on the way DfAM can take advantage of some of the unique capabilities that AM and 3DP have to offer. I personally think that the use of AM/3DP for light-weighting is one of it’s most exciting possibilities and one that could play a key part in the sustainability of design and manufacturing in the future.
        • Like
      • 3 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!