All Prints 5mm Off Centre

darkandlong

Posted · All Prints 5mm Off Centre

I have an Ender 3 V2 and Cura works great except it thinks the centre of the print bed is 5-6mm to the right of where it actually is. If I am printing larger models this can result in parts getting cut off and not printed if I don't remember to manually shift the model -5mm on the X axis.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a setting or tutorial to change this? 

Posted · All Prints 5mm Off Centre

Machine settings are usually here:  go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings"

Then adjust the x-width and y-depth settings.  Cura will pick exactly half of these values for the center of your part.  By default.  Of course you can move the part around with the move tool on the left side after clicking your part.

Posted (edited) · All Prints 5mm Off Centre

There are two build plates.  Cura uses the dimensions (described by gr5) as a virtual build plate with X0, Y0, Z0 at the left front corner.  On your printer, there is a physical build plate.  If you think about it, nobody really knows where in space the physical build plate is.  The "Home Offsets" in the printer sets a virtual 0,0,0 that then matches up with the Cura virtual build plate.

The Ender glass plate I have is 235 x 235 and as I recall those are the dimensions in the Ender3Pro profile in Cura.  If you jog the nozzle to the exact left front corner of the glass and then use "Prepare" and "Set Home Offsets" on the LCD you set a virtual build plate in the firmware that is exactly above the physical build plate and gives the virtual build plate in Cura it's start point. 

I found that wasn't optimal (large models might dribble over the edge where the glass is beveled), so I set the build plate size in Cura to 230 x 230 and moved the head 2.5mm from the left, and 2.5mm from the front and then hit Home Offsets.  Now, when I move the print head to X=115 and Y=115 it is right dead-nuts in the center of the glass.

When you tell the printer to "Go Home" it moves all three axis up against the switches.  The printer then knows where the print carriage is in space.  When you tell the printer to go to 0,0,0 it will move to the virtual 0,0,0 as set in the Home Offsets.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1