My Core XY 300mm (~12") cubed 3D printer build

joshendy

Posted · My Core XY 300mm (~12") cubed 3D printer build

Hi y'all,

I thought some people here might be interested in my latest 3D printer build. Several years a go I built a delta 3D printer that didn't work so well, had lots of slop and wasn't very rigid and had poor print quality. I was determined this time to make a much better printer and I think I did a pretty decent job on it.

I made a short YouTube video showing a bit of the build:
https://youtu.be/8EfwWAECTHE

If you're interested in a more deep dive on how I built it you can find a detailed write-up on my blog:
https://www.joshendyblog.net/big-3d-printer-bfp/

Cheers,

Josh

20200411_203614.jpg

20200216_131822.jpg

20200209_145530.jpg

20200510_145705.jpg

20200322_110451.jpg

20200322_110508.jpg

20200322_110518.jpg

20200322_110544.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah sure, this is one of the first large prints I did. It's a battery enclosure for my e-bike, it fits 39 18650 lithium-ion cells arranged in a 13S3P configuration. I had some trouble with my T10 (10mm) leadscrews wobbling which lead to the z wobble artifacts you might be able to see in the pictures. I've since upgraded to 12mm ballscrews and they have eliminated that problem.

20200822_121449.jpg

20200627_215416.jpg

20200627_111940.jpg

20200407_121751.jpg

20200407_121700.jpg

20200405_185002.jpg

20200407_093017.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice quality!

I also want to build a printer from scratch, but not enough time for it - so it is a plan "for later" 🙂 

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Really nice quality!

I also want to build a printer from scratch, but not enough time for it - so it is a plan "for later" 🙂 

Thanks! Yeah I'm not so sure if I could wind the 2 years back that I took me to build this printer that I wouldn't instead just buy an off the shelf printer because wow this thing was a lot of work to get right!

I think it is really funny to design and to build the printer, but for me it is annoying that when you need parts or so, that you have to order it, wait for delivery and so on. Thats the most time consuming part I think and it would be much easier when you can get all the parts in a local store nearby. And it is nearly impossible to know in the beginning what you really need and do a big order and that's it.

But on the other hand you learn a lot and you can easily fix problems or design failures, like your leadscrew for example.