Ultimaker 2 tune-up and fix

cryptie

Posted · Ultimaker 2 tune-up and fix

Hello All,

I apologize in advance for my limited knowledge and limited testing, I do not have my machine in front of me so I may not be able to update as often as I want.

I had a friend that was holding onto my printer for me for over a year. When I got my printer back I was excited to start printing again, however, there are some SEVERE issues with my printer.

Please note: I have a UM2 with olssen block, Extruder upgrade from GR5 (3 to 1 I think) and running tinker marlin (If i recall correctly) The printer was unplugged for a year, so I'm unsure if I need to reconfigure the flashed info.

When I plugged it in, I noticed the top plastic part of the head was cracked in several places. I tried running a print, but the x-y belts started slipping like crazy (layer shift by 5 inches!) It's not a small shift, the machine grinded. 

I cleaned the shafts, clipped them back in and lubricated with machine oil but when I try moving the head with my hands, its VERY tough to move. i tried tightening the belts, but the motor is moved to its maximum position.

Would anyone be so kind as to assist me in what I should be trying next?

Posted · Ultimaker 2 tune-up and fix
    2 hours ago, cryptie said:

I cleaned the shafts, clipped them back in and lubricated with machine oil but when I try moving the head with my hands, its VERY tough to move. i tried tightening the belts, but the motor is moved to its maximum position.

These are the things that i would try first:

There are two linear roll bearings in the printhead. Since the printhead has already cracks... check if these bearings are still seated in the correct position and orientation (not twisted or tilted).

Oil can resinify / gum over time, so take sure that any old residue is thoroughly wiped off (with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol). That counts for all 6 horizontal shafts and the two vertical shafts of the z-axis.

For re-oiling of the 8mm shafts only use light oil. Oil that is meant to be used for sewing machines works best.

To rule out a broken stepper motor: loose the x and y motors, so that you can remove the short belts from the motor shaft. This will not affect the perpendicular gantry system, so it's an easy ("non-destructive") test.

Move the printhead and rotate the motor shafts by hand to check where the actual resistance comes from.

All of this with a non-powered printer of course. 🙂

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1