Stabilize walls

upatamby

Posted · Stabilize walls

I would like to see this new feature in Cura. Sometimes a high model like this:

image.thumb.png.4d09c3fd3ac1c61d0d29e03cb4f18591.png

gets unstable at the upper layers. To solve this I looked in Cura for the option to stabilize walls. Unfortunately this does not exist in Cura, as far as I know, but it does in other slicers.

See the video below that perfectly describes why such an option makes sense and how it could be implemented.

• 3 years later...
    Posted · Stabilize walls

Cura now includes a post-processing script called "Limit the X-Y Accel/Jerk" (get to it through Extensions > Post Processing > Modify G-Code, click the Add a script button and choose it from the list.

As the name suggests, it lets you set lower acceleration and jerk values once you reach a certain layer (or gradually over a range of layers) so the bed doesn't move around as quickly (or make as sudden moves) to prevent wobbling. I've been able to print some somewhat ridiculous things using this method (like a narrow tower made of TPU with no support).

On 12/6/2020 at 9:26 AM, upatamby said:

image.thumb.png.4d09c3fd3ac1c61d0d29e03cb4f18591.png

I can't help but think (and it's possible the OP has a good reason for this): why wouldn't you print that laying on its back, unless your printer has a Z volume bigger than its X or Y and you need all the size you can get?

Also, it's hard to tell without any scale, but something like that looks like it shouldn't wobble too much if you're printing PLA with the right settings - the main causes are a small base of support (which this doesn't have) or flexible material (like if you're printing PETG, and in this case the fillet will only help it bend, or if you're using TPU, or probably others, I'm not familiar with all material types).

Posted · Stabilize walls

The script "Limit the X-Y Accel/Jerk" could be useful in some situations, but since I have an Ultimaker printer where the build plate does not move in the X and Y directions, its usefulness will be limited. This is because the top of a print is still pushed back and forth by the print head moving in the X and Y directions. It is possible to print a narrow tower (even without this extension), but the top layers will become increasingly sloppy. Sometimes it is possible to choose a different print orientation, but not always. In those cases I just design my own support structures.

In short: my request is not yet fulfilled with this extension.