Mounting Doodle3D in Ultimaker

Posted · Mounting Doodle3D in Ultimaker

Hi guys and girls,

I've had a lot of fun today using the new Wireless printing function in Cura using my Doodle3D box. (I'm one of the developers, please don't see this as a plug)

http://fablabamersfoort.nl/fotos/index.php/24-Dec-2013

I'm curious if it would be possible to power the box from the Ultimaker, so I don't need a separate power plug.

Looking at the electronics (we have the 1.5.4 version) I see 3 interesting spots:

- top left, 5v and gnd

- bottom left, 5v and gnd

- middle, exp4 (didn't have a change to measure the voltage there)

- left, in the screw terminals (didn't have a change to measure the voltage there)

http://www.reprap.org/mediawiki/images/7/79/UltimakerPCB1.5.4-prototype.JPG

What do you guys think? Seems important that the box doesn't influence the function of the Ultimaker electronics and the other way around. Also being able to make it pluggable is a plus.

Thanks in advance

Posted · Mounting Doodle3D in Ultimaker

Send some box spec.

How does look noise on your box ? Is 5V+ separated from any possible noise in your device ?

Difficult to say if that would affect UM electronic (which is simply just Arduino + rebuild motor shield), the best way is to check what is current needed by your box, then check noise on oscilloscope of your 5+ and GND.

I haven't checked schematics for motor shield on UM but I guess there will be one 5V+ line, so no matter where you will connect, just make sure that current will be appropriate for +5V line, and make sure that you won't connect some noisy device as it can affect work of Arduino (I haven't check how well is designed separation on motor shield from UM, so I can't tell you more).

Basically if your device has low noise and has low current then you can go ahead and connect to UM +5V line, just make sure that current won't be too big.

If you need more specific help let me know.