Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
thedudevt

material def for 0.02mm

I tried ddurant's material def app for the first time yesterday. I tried a layer thickness of 0.02, nozzle widths of .4-.7, and a temperature of 185 (which I changed to 180-190 in NetFabb). speeds I set to 20-300 which might be a bit high, but I'd like to have the speed with such a small layer thickness.

I learned that I have long way to go before I understand the system...

I printed a yoda-lite scaled 50% overnight (estimated 4.5 hrs) which finished up to the chin before detaching and making spaghetti. (The first layer didn't stick well, and i should have started over.)

Surface finish was really rough compared to the 100% yoda printed with the ultra profile, which makes me think i need to bump the temperature up to account for the increased speed.

I'll post the material Def and a picture later today.

My question: Does anyone have a 0.02mm material def i can try, or advice on how they got it to work? It would be great to have a repository of working definitions for people to start from, but i also want to learn how to do it myself. Is there a procedure or method to follow when making a new definition?

Thanks,

Kyle

...nozzle widths of .4-.7 ... speeds I set to 20-300 which might be a bit high...

I'd definitely start with less agressive settings until you get something working then move up. Maybe try 0.4mm-0.6mm thread widths and 50-100mm/s speeds.. Even that may be too fast for a 0.02mm layer - maybe try 20-50mm/s first.

I suspect it's not really any individual setting combination that can cause problems - it's more like about the rate of change from one setting to another, within a print. A 0.4mm thread at 20mm/s is about 1/25th the extruder speed of 0.7mm at 300mm/s. These are VERY different settings that you're allowing in the same print...

Eventually, I think slicers will get smart enough to compensate for this and do sortofa more-gradual ramp from one setting to the next. We're not there yet, though.