Making models while I wait, want to try and beta test them before I can?

aaronalai

Posted · Making models while I wait, want to try and beta test them before I can?

Hello, I've been reading a lot of the forums lately while I wait for my printer to ship out, and wanted to start making models to print. I have finished a non-fixed axle YoYo with all the parts except the string. I searched around for a good YoYo model but could only find fixed axle types, and those are no fun. This one has a bearing that hopefully spins well around the axle, remember I've never printed anything on a 3d printer before, so if it doesn't work sorry. I'm including SolidWorks files along with the stls for those that want to change tolerances or something. I wasn't sure what print orientation to put them in the .amf file from Cura, I tried the current way and 90 degrees rotated, and selected the current one as I think it preserves the more important dimensions, while potentially making the support structure more difficult to remove.

Put petroleum jelly in the pockets of the walls of the YoYo as well as on the axle. If the plastic axle does not work, the nut and bolt hex dimensions are those of a standard M5. The included printable M5 bolt has its non-threaded part extended to allow for smoother axle bearing interaction, and it's head is thickened for better mass distribution. If you don't have YoYo string laying around, some string of about 0.8-0.9 mm should do the trick. With a YoYo of this type (if it works) you can do the YoYo tricks that make the YoYo fun. A tip, print the bearing portion in nylon if you can for less friction between the bearing and axle.

YoYoAssembly_display_large.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:216901/#files

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bearing-yoyo

If you do print this file please post whatever you can, I am interested in all aspects of the build like the print orientation, how well the pieces fit together, what material and settings you used...anything. Even if you don't print this file I would still like to hear any observations or constructive criticism.

SmoothHalf_display_large.jpgFor an easier print, I also made a half with a completely flat side; I doubt this will affect performance of the YoYo much. The textured surface was to keep the string nice and straight down the middle of the YoYo without applying too much friction. I have also been thinking about the mass of the device, I've seen people adding currency for mass. The next version is definitely going to have something like this, coins could fit under the interior lip or something.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · Making models while I wait, want to try and beta test them before I can?

very cool model and idea Aaron ! :-)

I dont really see any big problems with this for printing.

The two large burger parts with their flat sides down, open sides up... zero problem.. the only little problem I can see is, when you print the right burger part with the little grip notches, they will be under the print.. not so good.

So what you could do is.. cut a box or star out of this surface.... then create a posative box or star shape later with the grip notches (facing up) then simply click in the start piece into your larger burger part.... and you have your notches :-)

Will try and get around to printing this nice design this week !

Thanks !

Ian :-)

Awesome idea! I like the notion of making a separate inner ring. This yo-yo should sleep when you drop it, allowing the performance of tricks; or it totally won't work. I'm interested to see how this thing pans out!!!