Cura JPG lithophane

Posted · Cura JPG lithophane

Hello,

This seemed like a responsive community I hope its relevant here, if anyone can help that would be awesome!!
Does Cura have some sort of max image resolution that can't be changed? I'm trying to print something pretty simple, but it looks so grainy in the slicer (even in layer mode). It's a high resolution image, but for some reason it still comes out grainy within the slicer. I've tried PNG and JPEG and even SVG (which Cura does not support). This is while trying to create a lithophane. I did a test run and that worked perfectly but once I upload a new JPG with all the same specs for some reason it will not print the same. 

The image is doing the exact same thing within a different program. The test looks great but the other does not. 

If you add a screenshot, or better yet a link to the image and a project containing the model and settings you used (File -> Save Project...) we'll be able to see what you mean by grainy.

It turns out that yes there is a maximum size that the image will be scaled to, and it is 512 (in either width or height).

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/4.9/plugins/ImageReader/ImageReader.py#L51

And it is sort of a good thing too. With the image you prepared and no maximum size, you would have ended up with a model with around 300 million vertices since every pixel becomes at least one vertex. That is way too much for Cura to handle.

Either way, you are much better off creating a 3d model from this text instead of using a lithophane. You'll get much sharper edges and better definition.

The image reader in Cura is not the suitable tool for this.