Installation problems with network drives

dmitche3

Posted · Installation problems with network drives

Hi all,

I installed Cura 4.8 from a network drive.  I recently upgraded to 4.9 which is probably a mute point.

I believe that my problem is that I ran the executable installation from a network drive and Cura can't understand that.  It installed to my local machine but it won't run without having access to my netowrk drive.  I get the message of

" Error in sys.excepthook

Exception [WinError 53] the network path is not found

x:\\4.9\\build\\inst\\bin\\cura_app.py

..."

I have uninstalled cura multiple times with and without configuration files while being disconnected from the network to no avail.  The uninstall is extremely poor as it doesn't remove local and roaming data files and leaves the registry full of unused entries as well. As eluded to there, I did a RegEdit to clean up what was left but I couldn't find anything that would refer to the network drive.

I'm currently running a complete scan of the hard drive looking for references to this python program.

Any help please.

It is a problem with the drive letter X. Don't ask me why, I don't know but you can solve it when you use another letter for your X network drive.

When X doesn't exist, I am sure Cura will start normally. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

I'm updating this as really nothing has changed.  If you have an X drive that disappears, from a removable drive or network and the software was installed while the drive was connected the software no longer runs.

This looks like a programmer put some default code in for testing, or referencing code on their X: drive and forgot to remove the references.  Given the fact that there are so many ways to hack software i wouldn't be surprised to know that this could be used a hack, even so lame that it would be.