RepRap not responding to RTS reset. Failed to connect

firebird

Posted · RepRap not responding to RTS reset. Failed to connect

Hey everyone,

I have built my Ultimaker a couple of weeks ago, but had problems installing it on my Win7 computer. Today I have tried my XP laptop and I am having exactly the same problems...

ReplicatorG says this error message:

"RepRap not responding to RTS reset. Failed to connect"

I have also installed Netfabb and I am not being able to connect there either.

What its doing that I think is normal behavior is that the printer head lights up in blue.

The fan runs slowly when usb connected and ramps up when main power switch is on.

I have 2 green leds on the extra board.

I have an orange light that is flashing on the arduino board.

I can see that the arduino is installed in the Device manager and runs on COM13.

What I have been doing is reading about the problem and playing around with the baud rates. But I cant get anything to work. In the Device manager, arduino board settings I can change the baud that was originally set to 9600. I changed it in the Ultimaker.xml in ReplicatorG to have the same value. Nothing happend. I tried to change both to 57600 without luck.

Right now I am feeling really stuck and hope that you guys have some ideas on what to do? Is it possible to update the code in the arduino for instance?

Any help is appreciated.

Yes. It's possible to update the Arduino code. There is a firmware upgrade option in the RepG menu (even works if you cannot connect properly)

Another possibility would be SkeinPyPy-Beta4:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/downloads

This will upgrade your firmware to Marlin V1 (which is a lot newer then what's shipped with RepG) on 250000 baud. The disadvantage is that it won't work with RepG anymore then (because RepG cannot handle 250000), but the good thing is that you don't need RepG with SkeinPyPy.

The fan rotating slowly, and later fast if you turn the machine on is normal. If the slow rotating fan bothers you, you can remove the "ARDN_PWR" header from the board. It's intended use is to power the Arduino from the mains power. However, a side-effect is that the USB powers then FAN then when the power is off.

The arduino runs at the following baud rates:

9600 for firmware updates (I think, not sure)

57600 for 5D firmware (stock)

115200 for Marlin/Sprinter (build3 in repG works best)

250000 for Marlin V1+ (does not work with repG 26)

Just check if you have the correct baud rates. Do NOT alter the baud rate in the system settings.

@Daid: Thanks for the fan suggestion. It was so irritating to always have to have the fan on.

@mr_seeker: Thanks. Now I know which baud values to try.

Woho...... Thanks Daid. I went in to replicatorg Machine/update firmware and chose the standard one from the list. Now Replicatorg showes its connected :-D I also changed the replicatorg/machine/ultimaker.xml and changed the 9600 to 57600. Nice. I think that the Netfabb is working now aswell after I canged it to 57600 baud.

Thanks for the help. Now I have to figure out whats to do next to be able to get a test print :D

9600 for firmware updates (I think, not sure)
    Nope. That's 115200 for the Mega2560 version and 57600 for the Mega1280 version. It's also a different protocol for Mega2560. But the update baudrate is not important to know, the tools handle this correctly.

I have managed to get it to start printing :)

Its not really working that well yet, but I am sure that I will manage to get it working :)

Hi,

Had the same problem. Eventually I logged into the PC side of my mac and installed skein py py.

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/SkeinPyPy

Much better and took only a couple of clicks to update driver, software etc and get going...