How can I create a material profile for the CC Red Core for the S5?

spacecolonyone

Posted · How can I create a material profile for the CC Red Core for the S5?

I'm trying to work with Matter hackers Build Glow filament, which is abrasive. I've created a profile for it based on the Generic ABS (as there is no profile in the material browser to install). Cura insists, however that the CC Red is not compatible with the ABS profile I created. What should I do so I don't have to wear out my AA cores (which sadly may already have some damage as they have seen a few meters of the filament before I learned it was abrasive!).

Well, yes, that's because there is no quality profile for the CC core and ABS.

The not supported basicly means that it doesn't have a pre-defined quality profile and will fall back to more generic results (hence "not supported" and not "not allowed")

Interesting. Perhaps I should restate my question, where is information on creating my own quality profile, ideally using an existing profile including things not overridden as a starting point?

I see that when I select the CC Red core the quality profiles go away and Cura loads a number of defaults. Some are related to the core and make sense, plently of others are defaulting to settings have no control of, don't see how to control where they come from, change them except one by one, or export to get make an external detailed diff to see why estimated print time is jumping by ~50% with a larger core that is running at a faster speed!

On 5/20/2021 at 5:00 PM, spacecolonyone said:

Interesting. Perhaps I should restate my question, where is information on creating my own quality profile, ideally using an existing profile including things not overridden as a starting point?

You can find that here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings

I don't think that addresses my issue. It nicely lays out how profiles and settings work to create what is used in the printing process but leaves the issue as to how unaddressed. For example my current workflow for a new unsupported material:

1. Create a new material for it based on something close and unlink it.
    2. Edit the supported nozzles in the .fdm_material file if necessary (e.g. remove AA/add CC if abrasive)
    3. Select a material for the nozzle that has an intent profile I'd  like to start from and pick the intent.
    4. Go to customize and make screenshots of ever section
    5. Select the new material I've made.
    6. Manually apply the settings from the screenshots.
    7. Tweak until I'm happy.
    8. Save profile

I've tried exporting and importing existing profiles but Cura complains that the material isn't compatible with what I'm importing and refuses to show it. If I could figure out the relevant file I'd edit it by hand but haven't had any luck there either.

Similarly I've looked for things in the vein of "So you'd like to start manufacturing your own filament and get material and intent profiles into the market place? Here's the develop docs." to no avail.

What am I missing?

16 hours ago, spacecolonyone said:

I don't think that addresses my issue. It nicely lays out how profiles and settings work to create what is used in the printing process but leaves the issue as to how unaddressed

It does, since what you want to do requires you to add extra profiles. The thing that you want to do isn't fully supported by the interface, as you already found out that it's a quite tricky thing to do.

So if you want to have a profile for it, you will need to create a material file, and manually create quality profiles (or use the quality changes, and set those up by hand).

There are some plugins in the marketplace that allow you to export all the settings that you have right now. If you want a debugging insight into the profiles, you can also try to install the "god-mode" plugin (https://github.com/sedwards2009/cura-god-mode-plugin)