Help with connecting my computer using Cura to my printer

Posted · Help with connecting my computer using Cura to my printer

I am connecting my Creality 3 V2 printer to the usb connector on my computer. But when I try to connect to the processor on the Creality printer, I get no response from the printer. My computer recognizes the connection when I plug in the printer by giving me an acknowledgement tone but the screen shows no connection and says "Not connected to a printer". I set up the printer settings in the application but there is no acknowledgement of an existing printer. I would like to setup my printer using Cura but I may have to go elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Posted (edited) · Help with connecting my computer using Cura to my printer

The printer is not a "printer".  It is a USB Serial device so it is handled differently by the operating system.

There are a couple of things you can try.

You need an actual USB data cable.  A lot of the cables used by phones are for charging only and don't have the transmit/receive lines in them.

With Cura running go to the MarketPlace and "Installed" (can take a minute to load) and scroll down to USB Printing and make sure it is checked.

Try different USB ports.  If the USB-SERIAL (CH340) driver was installed on a particular USB port then it might not be available to other USB ports (my Win7 computer will only talk to the printer on a particular USB port but my Win10 laptop doesn't care which port I plug it into).

If you are on a Windows system bring up the Device Manager and then plug in the printer USB cable.  The screen should flash and refresh and under "Ports (COM and LPT)" should be a line describing the printer connection as "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM4) where the COM number is particular to your connection.

The Cura USB Printing plugin will search for a printer every 5 seconds (thanks @ghostkeeper) so you can have the printer plugged in via USB before Cura starts, or you can plug it in after Cura starts.  It can take a minute or two for Cura to notice a COM port (as acknowledged in Device Manager) and then cycle through the baud rates until it finds what works.

Greg's SD Print Tool.zip

Edited by GregValiant
    Update Zip File