Files from Ultimaker will not print on my Ender 3

Posted · Files from Ultimaker will not print on my Ender 3

Hey everyone! I'm new to 3D printing (about a week now) and i've hit a wall.  My preloaded files provided on my Micro SD card work fine, but when i try to use a file converted in Ultimaker the filament is not sticking down to my build plate.  Any help would be so appreciated. File attached for reference. Thanks in advance!

Additional information just in case needed:

• Build plate is clean and free of dirt and oils
  • Lucky Cat, Dog and Pig print fine from the stock files provided with the machine
  • Build plate is leveled and spaced using a piece of computer paper as a gauge
  • material is PLA (white 1.75MM suggested print temps are 190-220)

CE3_2Skull_hair_pin._1.p_stl.gcode

Posted · Files from Ultimaker will not print on my Ender 3

That's a basic Ender 3 gcode file.  If you haven't tried HairSpray - Aquanet Super Hold is a good Adhesion Promoter (it's available in the US but is probably country specific).

Try using a piece of parchment paper or a store receipt for leveling.  They are much thinner.

Looking at the Cura workspace, just above the Settings is the Settings Search box.  To the right of that is an icon with 3 lines on it.  It is the Settings Visibility tool.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".

Under Material you will find "Initial Layer Flow".  Try slicing something simple and set the Initial Layer Flow to 115%.  When you are new to 3d printing your leveling is inconsistent and that initial layer ends up being too tall and the nozzle doesn't smear the plastic onto the surface.  Increasing the flow is a crutch to make up for poor leveling but it often works.  As you get more practice you can start backing that down.  I still have it at 105% though and I find that I rarely need to restart a print.

When I first received my Creality glass build surface I had trouble with adhesion.  After a few prints and cleanings it was much better.  Maybe there is just a wearing in period.