Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Setting for offset XY origin

kpo

Posted (edited) · Setting for offset XY origin

Hello,

I've got a dual head printer that has origin not at center, neither at XYZ=[0,0,0], but at XYZ=[-20, 0, -5] (because of endstop placement), the build volume is XYZ=[300,300,400]. When I go to XYZ=[0,0,0], e.g. G0 X0 Y0 Z0, the print head is in fact at XYZ=[20,0,5] in regards to bed corner. Is it possible to set origin in Cura to those specific values, or the only way would be to hack it around using extruder offsets? Z offset is not so critical, because before each print printhead touches the bed to set real Z0.

Cheers,

Krzysztof

Edited by kpo
more info about Z offset

Posted · Setting for offset XY origin

The build plate in Cura is a "virtual" build plate that is "MachineWidth" x "MachineDepth" as you set them in Machine Settings.  The 0,0,0 is usually at the left front corner for most cartesian printers.  When Cura generates a gcode the X Y Z locations are calculated from that origin.  Cura will take into consideration the distance between the nozzles and note the areas of the build surface that they can't get to.

When a gcode file is read by (most) printers, the printer puts the 0,0,0 of the gcode file (the virtual build plate) at the Home Offset 0,0,0.

The Auto-Home position is measured from the Home Offset 0,0,0.  That means that when you Auto-Home the print head it should read something like X=-5 Y=-3 Z=0.  That is where the nozzle is in relation to the Home Offset 0,0,0.  I know it isn't intuitive, but it's the way it works.  The Auto-Home 0,0,0 is not absolute, it's just a position where it is up against the switches.  If you change the Home Offset position then you change the location of the Auto-Home position.

For a dual head machine there is a distance between the nozzles?  That should go into the Machine Settings on the Extruder tabs.