Is it possible to add a setting to the user interface via a machine definition file?

jacobdobbratz

Posted · Is it possible to add a setting to the user interface via a machine definition file?

I'd like to be able to add a setting that wouldn't need to be used in the slicing engine but would adjust other settings. I know I can edit a setting equation or visibility with the     "overrides": {} section for a machine definition file. I was able to add a setting by editing the "fdmprinter.def.json" file to appear as "test user setting" but when I copied that section into my machine specific definition it wouldn't appear to the user. Would I have to have a copy of the "fdmprinter.def.json" that my machine definition file inherits to have it just take effect on my machine?

On a similar note is it possible to add a new category of setting like build plate adhesion, or support within a printer definition file?

Below is the basis of what I was looking at:

"settings":
    {

.........(other settings)

"platform_adhesion":
        {
            "label": "Build Plate Adhesion",
            "type": "category",
            "icon": "Adhesion",
            "description": "Adhesion",
            "children":
            {

"Test_user_setting":
                {
                    "label": "Test user setting",
                    "description": "Bla Bla ",
                    "type": "bool",
                    "default_value": false,
                    "settable_per_mesh": false,
                    "settable_per_extruder": true,
                    "enabled": true,
                    "warning_value": "True if resolveOrValue('print_sequence') == 'one_at_a_time' else None"
                },

.......(other settings)

},

.......(other settings)

}

}

image.jpeg

Posted · Is it possible to add a setting to the user interface via a machine definition file?

Yes, this is possibly, but I believe it is not currently allowed for definitions that ship with Cura. In other words, it is possible to add settings this way for your own installation of Cura, but you cannot have such definitions included with Cura for the benefit of other users.

In your own definition, make sure your setting is within a "settings" section, not the "overrides" section. Also make sure to include a category around the setting. That can be a custom category, or an existing one. But your setting needs to be a "child" of a category.

• Like 1

Following your suggestion works but it isn't a visible setting unless the user searches for it. It is there and responsive I had to use custom setting visibly for it to be selected as clicking the visibility setting for all did not select the "test user setting".  Is there something I'm missing with this or is this an expected behavior? I'd prefer to have it be visible without having to search for it but that is something that I can work around.

{
        "version": 2,
        "name": "my_printer",
        "inherits": "my_printer_base",
        "metadata": {
            "visible": true,
            "quality_definition": "my_printer",
            "machine_extruder_trains":
            {
                "0": "my_printer_extruder_0",
                "1": "my_printer_extruder_1"
            }
        },
        "settings": {
            "testing":
            {
                "label": "Testing_label",
                "type": "category",
                "description": "bla bla bla",
                "children":
                {
                    "Test_user_setting":
                    {
                        "label": "Test user setting",
                        "description": "Bla Bla Bla.",
                        "type": "bool",
                        "default_value": true,
                        "enabled": true,
                        "settable_per_extruder": true
                    }    
                }
            }
        },

"overrides": {
            "machine_name": { "default_value": "my_printer" },
            "machine_width":                                { "default_value": 692.0 },
            "machine_depth":                                { "default_value": 507.0 },
            "machine_height":                               { "default_value": 600.0 },
            "gantry_height":                                { "value": 25 },
            "machine_extruder_count":                         { "default_value": 2 },

"machine_head_with_fans_polygon":               { "default_value": [ [-15, 15], [-15, -15], [15, -15], [15, 15] ] },

"machine_heated_build_volume":                    {"default_value": true},
            "machine_center_is_zero":                         {"default_value": false},
            "relative_extrusion":                            {"default_value": true},    

"machine_max_feedrate_x": { "value": 800 },
            "machine_max_feedrate_y": { "value": 800 },
            "machine_max_feedrate_z": { "value": 50 },
            "machine_max_feedrate_e": { "value": 50 },

"machine_max_acceleration_x":                    {"default_value": 10000},
            "machine_max_acceleration_y":                    {"default_value": 10000},
            "machine_max_acceleration_z":                    {"default_value": 1000},
            "machine_max_acceleration_e":                    {"default_value": 11671},

"machine_max_jerk_xy":                             {"default_value": 5.0},
            "machine_max_jerk_z":                             {"default_value": 5.0},
            "machine_max_jerk_e":                            {"default_value": 5.0},

"build_volume_temperature":
                    {
                        "label": "Build Volume Temperature",
                        "description": "The temperature of the environment to print in. If this is 0, the build volume temperature will not be adjusted.",
                        "unit": "°C",
                        "type": "float",
                        "default_value": 0,
                        "resolve": "min(extruderValues('build_volume_temperature'))",
                        "minimum_value": "-273.15",
                        "minimum_value_warning": "0",
                        "maximum_value_warning": "100",
                        "enabled": "machine_heated_build_volume",
                        "settable_per_extruder": false
                    }        

}
    }

image.png

image.png

image.png

I think the problem (bug?) is that the category is not properly made visible. Categories are included in the setting visibility profiles, and I don't think they should be.

You could try if your setting can be made visible via the All Settings option if it is in a preexisting category. You can just use the id of an existing category and leave out the label, description and type (but obviously have your setting in "children" )