Weird problem where fill lines are longer on first layer

gwfami

Posted · Weird problem where fill lines are longer on first layer

I switched printing filaments from white to green, both same type of PLA from the same manufacturer and ordered at the same time.

The prints were coming out fine in the white PLA, but I just ran a first test on the green with the same Cura profile as the white and problems immediately showed up. I’m thinking that somehow the pigment is changing the filament just enough to cause issues. These gaps are showing up on the first layer on the underside, that is, the side that is in direct contact with the bed.

At first I thought these gaps were caused by under extrusion or a temperature issue.   I ran a temp tower, and the best quality is around 205 C, which is the temp It’s been running with both the white and green filament. Played with the flow, upped it to 130%, not much difference, changed the first layer height from 0.2 to 0.24mm, not much difference.

Here's some pictures, first a picture of the area with good printing (printed object is 0.2 inches or so across).  The next picture shows an area with poor printing.  Third picture shows a poor attempt at putting the Cura path lines alongside the print.  And finally a closeup of the problem area.

I'm out of ideas on this.  Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Good.png

bad.png

compare.png

compare 2.png