Building a recycler

Posted · Building a recycler

What about designing a recycler which would melt failed prints or even pellets and extrude filaments?

That could be a valuable option for any 3D printer specially for beginners, knowing the price of the stuff.

That could be a valuable option for any 3D printer specially for beginners, knowing the price of the stuff.
    25E ~ 30E per kilo? that's not terribly expensive really for a hobby ;-)

BUT. I like the recycle idea. I don't think there need to be a lot of these recyclers. I'll happy turn in my scraps for half the weight in filament. But a consistent thickness is important. Also, go environment!

PLA recycling should be quite painless as it has a pretty low melting point, and doesn't seem to "lose" a lot of properties/material (no nasty fumes) when heated.

My main problem with making a recycler is that you cannot build it with a 3D printer :p

There is also

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12948

FYI: The filabot wee was just made public open source a week ago, you can find all the plans and part lists on the filabot forum or thingiverse:

http://filabot.com/forum/topic/design-links-and-video/

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24583

I am wondering if I am going to build one myself...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Introducing Universal Cura Projects in the UltiMaker Cura 5.7 beta
        Strap in for the first Cura release of 2024! This 5.7 beta release brings new material profiles as well as cloud printing for Method series printers, and introduces a powerful new way of sharing print settings using printer-agnostic project files! Also, if you want to download the cute dinosaur card holder featured below, it was specially designed for this release and can be found on Thingiverse! 
        • 10 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies