Cura load project feature usability problem

esopalumpa

Posted · Cura load project feature usability problem

Hi,

on first glance .mf3 aka project in cura seems to be a possibility to “can” a printjob. This does not work.

If you load a .mf3 aka project  cura gives you two possibilities.

ⓐ import models. This only loads the models not the settings. So this is not a canned printjob.

ⓑ open as project. This will, on default-settings, permanently overwrite your machine settings (p.e. gcode, etc) and the material definition. So this is not a canned print-job either. It is a reset to old settings. There is no warning, that if you proceed loading this project, you will need to use your backup.

Technically loading projects in cura works, from a usability point of view it is severly broken.

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted · Cura load project feature usability problem

I open a LOT of project files (from here and Github) and many will have been created with an Ender 3 or Ender 3 Pro as the active printer.  I look close at that as I don't want my printer over-written.  In the Open Project dialog you have options.  You can "Update" your printer and that will over-write your printer with whatever is in the project file.  You can also "Create New" which will use whatever definition file was used in the project and add it to your list of printers.  In the image below you can see that "Greg's Ender-3 Pro" is on the list of possible Updates.  I always look and when necessary (which is quite often) allow Cura to "Create" a new printer.

The same is true for Profiles and Materials...you can Update or Create New.

I go through and clean out the printers, profiles, and materials once in a while or I'd be swamped.

Untitled.thumb.png.fc052df2a131026391dd287a6a328777.png