Wiring for dual extruders

Posted · Wiring for dual extruders

I have just completed the build of an Ultimaker, with dual extruders..

I hit a problem when trying to do the 'run first wizard' checks through Cura. End result, after kind advice from this site, I removed the second plug for the extruder from the control board, and at least got basic checks completed ok.

Upon troubleshooting the second head problem, I have noticed what appears to be an irregularity in the 'head' to control board wiring loom.

Looking at the underside of the machine, the extruder plugs can be seen; In pictures within building manuals, the wires are, from the right side of the machine, coloured; (temp1 plug) Yellow, Red, Black. (temp2 plug) Green, Orange, Brown.

However.... the wiring loom that I received, the Orange and Brown on temp2 plug are the other way round. Thus, I have (temp1 plug) Yellow, Red, Black. (temp2 plug) Green, BROWN, ORANGE. Tracing back from the head amplifier pcb's, it would seem as if Orange and Brown ARE the wrong way round.

I do not wish to just go ahead and swap these around in case I cause myself further problems...! Also nullify any warranty... Not having access to circuit diagrams etc, I do not know if this is right or wrong..

Can someone please comment...

Hello als,

i confirm your brown and orange appear to be swapped, my order is green-orange-brown on temp 2.

On the plug that goes on the print head my wires are also green-orange-brown.

So as long as yours are parallel, you should be fine.

Does that help you?

Hi Burki,

Thank you for kind response.. Yes, and no.. :???:.. You confirm my suspicions. Thinking about it, I feel I must get this info confirmed by Ultimaker.. It is possible there are different versions of controller board or amp that have different pin outs or other ;

Highly unlikely, I know, but if I make changes that are wrong, or damage has already been caused, the recovery bill will be on me !.. I am STILL waiting for Bowden tube, missing in the original kit shipment, and wouldn't you know, the head that's down is the one that I fitted the one tube I did get; I laced it rather than use the supplied spiral wrap, feeling it provides infinitely more support for this type of application..

Must admit to being a tad disappointed at the mix ups, and delays.. I guess we are all human though.. I will get started one day.... Will try to get answers from Ultimaker again.. Thanks for your help.. Regards..